cant network 2 computers

viperuk 19:51 24 Dec 2003

Im having a problem networking my 2 computers.. The one is sending and recieving the other just dont work it keeps saying that there is a network cable unplugged. If anyone has any suggestions please i would like to know

howard60 20:26 24 Dec 2003

do you have a firewall active? what op system?

viperuk 20:30 24 Dec 2003

yes firewall active. windows xp home on main and xp prof on ext. i cant get i.p address on ext and it says network cable unplugged. have you any suggestions??

LeadingMNMs 20:42 24 Dec 2003

Wireless or wired ?

Check in control panel - system - device manager and see if it recognises the network card / device. Try reinstalling the driver and checking that the device has not been disabled. What sort of cable (if any) are you using, straight through or crossover ?

if you type in "ipconfig /all" in a command promp to you get any response ?

Alf58 20:51 24 Dec 2003

What cable are you using? If you are just joining two machines together you want crossover cable not CAT 5. If you connect using a hub you need CAT 5.

viperuk 21:08 24 Dec 2003

how do i tell if its a straight through or crossover? i got the ip address from the command prompt, thanks.

howard60 21:08 24 Dec 2003

first check in control panel system hardware that your network card is working ok. As Alf58 says if 2 pcs networked no switch or router you need a crossover cable. I normally disable firewalls and set the ip address manually. On the main xp machine set 192 168 0 1 subnet 255 255 255 0 - on the 2nd. set to 192 168 0 2 same subnet then enter into gateway and dns 192 168 0 1 - make sure both pcs drives are set to sharing and copy any file even just xxxx to the shared folders on each machine. Make sure both pcs are set to the same workgroup I use MSHOME.

Alf58 21:17 24 Dec 2003

As for the cable: what did it say on the packaging? My Cat 5 cable has CAT 5 actually printed on the side of the cable. Crossover cable is often (not always) yellow in colour. When I first got into this networking lark I bought a huge length of Cat 5 cable plugged in the two PCs and kept getting the error message: "cable unplugged". I then found out I needed crossover cable but you could not buy crossover cable in the lengh I needed (from PC world). I bought a cheap hub (Netgear EN 104) and connected the two machines using it and suitable lenghts of CAT5 and everything has been fine.

viperuk 21:42 24 Dec 2003

im not sure if its a cat5 is there any visible way of checking? i now have the ext comp sending but isn't recieving. the ext comp is now using a different adapter to the one it was before.

Alf58 21:51 24 Dec 2003

You can tell by the positioning of the colured wiring in the perspex plugs at the ends of the cable but I dont have sufficient knowlege to make this clear. If you examine the plastic coating on the cable doesnt it say anything?

howard60 23:29 24 Dec 2003

I have a drawing showing the connections of a crossover cable which you could check against your one but I know of no way of attaching it to this forum. e-mail me and I will send it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017