Can't make broadband connection with IBM Thinkpad

Burnsy 18:48 06 Apr 2007

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 (running XP) which I have been using on a wireless network for some time. I have now given the laptop to my father, to connect to broadband via a wired Speedtouch modem but the laptop does not seem to know to connect to broadband via its USB port. Does anyone know of a way to make it recognise and communicate with the speedtouch modem, or would I have a better chance with a PCMCIA USB card ? Is there a particular type of PCMCIA card for connecting to broadband ?

Forum Editor 01:36 07 Apr 2007

Your father ran the Speedtouch software on the Thinkpad before trying to connect to the modem?

mocha 04:03 07 Apr 2007

I agree with FE, when I first connected to cable broadband via a wired modem to a USB port on my computer I had to install NTL's software in order for it to work, although it didn't require the software if I used the modem Ethernet to Computer Ethernet link.

Burnsy 08:55 07 Apr 2007

Thanks FE & Mocha, yes we installed the software first. The broadband worked fine through a desktop, but its as if the USB port on the Thinkpad isn't configured to host an internet connection. Is it right that its still a PPPoE connection even when its wired ?

mocha 13:33 07 Apr 2007

As I see it a PPPoE connection is for people who use broadband, but have a User name and Password as on BT Landlines. If you are using Cable connection that is always on then there is no need for PPPoE. as you dont have a password or user name.

Burnsy 19:18 07 Apr 2007

OK thanks, I'll delete the existing connection and re-install the software, but if its no better any thoughts on the chances of it working by plugging the USB from the modem via a PCMCIA card ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?