Can't lto USB

fivesilver 22:21 12 Nov 2008

For a few months now, I've been unable to install anything to the USB ports (card readers, MP3 players, anything).
I keep getting an error message telling me the hardware hasn't been installed correctly.
I mess around with installing and removing software to try it out - I'm wondering if I've removed or corrupted a registry key or something.

Technotiger 22:29 12 Nov 2008

Sounds as if your USB ports need refreshing ... Right-click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager then scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then Left-click on the + sign, then Right-click on each/every item listed and click on Un-install.

When you have done this to all of them, close the System Properties window and re-start your computer.

When you connect any USB item the computer will recognise and re-install.

chub_tor 22:32 12 Nov 2008

Go into Device Manager, scroll down to USB, right click each entry in turn and click on Uninstall. Reboot your machine and let Windows reinstall the USB drivers.

Terminus90 22:33 12 Nov 2008

fivesilver, try uninstalling the usb ports in device manager. Then re-boot and let windows recognise and install the drivers for them, you should then be able to use them

woodchip 22:38 12 Nov 2008

You could also remove all power to computer including battery if its a Laptop then press and hold start button in for short time. after restart and try USB

fivesilver 00:25 13 Nov 2008

I followed the procedure people suggested, and it's actually made things worse.
The computer is failing to re-install the USB ports, giving me the message that "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software".

What's worse, I now can't access my external drive - I wasn't having any problem with it before, since I had installed it before the USB port problem started, but it means I now have no access to a whole lot of data.

So, my USB ports appear to be dead - the only reason I can even send this reply is because my mouse and keyboard are PS/2.

Can anybody help?

rdave13 00:54 13 Nov 2008

Have a read here; click here .
Forget the link for " Click here to run a free scan for USB 2.0 errors" in the site as only a reg scan.

woodchip 13:11 13 Nov 2008

You have a Big Windows Problem and would be better using a Full XP CD to do a Repair of your System

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?