cant logon in XP

Newuser2 08:21 27 May 2009

The PC boots up OK until it gets to the log on screen, when I try to type in my password nothing appears in the box, its almost as though the keyboard is dead but I've tried a different key board but that made no difference, I've tried safe mode and that doesn't work, any help much appreciated.

birdface 09:10 27 May 2009

Try without the password.And press enter.

Newuser2 09:26 27 May 2009

Thanks buteman, but have tried that and it doesn't work.

rawprawn 09:39 27 May 2009

Have you tried Enter with no password in safe mode?
If you can get so safe mode try this to stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quatations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

Newuser2 09:48 27 May 2009

Thanks rawprawn
I can get to the run box in safe mode, but when I try to type nothing appears and also the mouse stops working as well.

birdface 09:52 27 May 2009

What about last good configuration can you use the up down arrows on the keyboard to get to it then press enter.

birdface 09:59 27 May 2009

What happens if you disconnect from the Internet and try.I suppose pressing the windows logo on the keyboard has no effect.

Newuser2 10:02 27 May 2009

I can get into safe mode and everything seems to work OK until I try to type anything into the run box as rawprawn suggested, To get into safe mode I have to click on administrator and safe mode runs OK.

birdface 10:08 27 May 2009

What about when you click on the windowws logo or Ctrl Alt Delete buttons still nothing.

birdface 10:11 27 May 2009

Sorry ignore last.

Newuser2 10:35 27 May 2009

I think I've fixed it.
I did a system restore in safe mode and fingers crossed it appears to be OK.
I'll post back ASAP with any news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?