Cant logon to Ftp

caast©? 19:52 23 Mar 2004

I thought it was about time I updated my websites but I am having trouble logging onto the ftp server.

When I created the web site I was using Win 98SE on another computer with a 56k modem which I now have networked to this (still 98SE)but this PC is running Win XP Pro with Norton AV,XP firewall,Zone Alarm and Pest Patrol.and has broadband connection (Pipex)

I use Terrapin Ftp to upload to my sites and to do this from this PC I just transferred the account setting from the 98 PC.

However when I try to log on I just get connection dropped, check settings. I typed the settings in manually but still no joy.

I have an account with oneandone and have no problems connecting but the other is with Lineone (Tiscali) I have changed the ftp settings to click here but get the same. I rang Tiscali (In malaysia me thinks) and was told the myweb setting was correct.

A thought came to me that It could be something to do with the Firewall and AV software can some one please tell me how I can get logged on.

I have tried Terrapin but unfortunately they were closed. M

caast©? 20:33 23 Mar 2004

Firewall and AV but still not connecting. M

caast©? 20:37 23 Mar 2004

just noticed the click here it is the ftp link
reads:- ftp . myweb. tiscali . co.uk without spaces of course

Forum Editor 20:42 23 Mar 2004

the WindowsXP firewall AND ZoneAlarm - why is that?

I suggest that you disable the WindowsXP firewall and try again - or have you already done that? You should not need to turn off ZoneAlarm, it will ask for permission to allow Terrapin to run your machine as a server, and you should consent to that.

caast©? 19:37 24 Mar 2004

Thanks FE I did turn off all apps and tried again

on reboot zone alarm is activated, however it did not ask if I wanted to allow access to terrapin. M

caast©? 18:07 27 Mar 2004

as user logged on but as soon as I click any thing it tells me the server has dropped my connection. This is only with lineone. my account with oneandone is trouble free. M

caast©? 20:44 08 Apr 2004

For some time time I had a Lineone account and posted two websites with them. Last year I changed to pipex.net when I ordered Broadband.

I cancelled the BT, and Lineone accounts 56K, surf and whatever it was called.

however the websites are still there, and my lineone mail account. I still get mail via the lineone server.

Can I presume that the Lineone ftp is unavailable because I cancelled the account with them? If this is so, why can I still log on to collect mail from my Lineone mail box?

I have telephoned Lineone but did not get any joy, I think I was speaking to someone in the far east!

I just want to update the sites, but am prepared to pull them down and repost with my oneandone account. but I cannot do anything.

can anyone please explain what is going on. M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?