Can't log on to Tiscali

Halmer 09:39 14 Dec 2003

I have a modem and pay as you go account with ic24.

On my lad's PC I installed Tiscali on a pay as you go basis. The internet seems a lot quicker on my lad's PC than it does on mine even tho he has ME and I have XP.

So..........

I have tried to set up the same Tiscali account on my PC without success. I have used the Wizard which seems relatively simple and am fairly sure that I have set everything up properly, password, user name etc but I just get a 'Error 690' which indictates a invalid password. I have spent about twenty minutes on the phone talking to Tiscali at 50p a minute and they have checked every setting including the password but I still can't connect.

Can anyone help me please?

Halmer 10:00 14 Dec 2003

Error 691 sorry.

I have just tried the password starting in lower case as well without success.

Diodorus Siculus 10:06 14 Dec 2003

What about username: this has to be correct also or you will get a bad password message.

Check what format the username should be.

MAJ 10:07 14 Dec 2003

Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall, Halmer? And make sure that your username is in the form "[email protected]"

Halmer 10:10 14 Dec 2003

[email protected]

Is this right?

Diodorus Siculus 10:14 14 Dec 2003

Halmer - it is correct if it is your email address for that acc. Depends on how you signed up.

Try with lower case initials.

MAJ 10:15 14 Dec 2003

If that's the username you created when signing up, then yes, that is the correct format. Are you sure you used Christian.Surname rather than ChristianSurname?

Stuartli 11:04 14 Dec 2003

It may be that you just have to use your surname first i.e. [email protected]

That's the case with my username even though the actual username for the dialup connection box is done as surname.worldonline.co.uk (I'm still using the WorldOnline arrangement, although for My Account etc I have to use the first example, [email protected]

Stuartli 11:07 14 Dec 2003

Another possible reason could be that there are more than one subscriber with your surname, so it could be Christian1, Christian2 etc.

Stuartli 11:08 14 Dec 2003

..should read: "there is more than..."

Halmer 12:42 14 Dec 2003

but I can't spot it.

I've checked every setting on my lad's PC and checked it to mine and yet it still wont connect.

I've decided to open a plus.net account up instead.

It's set up OK and Ive received confirmation biut does anyone know how I actually set up the name of my e-mail address from the detail below?

We can confirm that your PlusNet account details will be as follows:

Your e-mail address will be in the format of
[email protected] where 'anythingyoulike' can be any word
you like (for example your name).

How do change the anythingyoulike to my own name?

Ive been on their website without success.

Sorry if I appear a bit thick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?