cant load from xp cd

cassarat 20:23 20 May 2007

desktop worked fine, came home from work and it was saying windows has shut down to prevent something or other. use safe mode, safe mode with prompt etc, last known good config, load windows when i try any of them it just keeps coming back to the same page. occassionally it says ntfs drivers is missing or corrupt, i tried booting from xp cd which loads up until starting windows then goes to blank screen.
I have tried using seatools to check the hdd, i made a ms dos disk then had to use another disk for seatools i get the A:\ bit but then nothing. i tried fast help, help on a prompt but it says bad command or file name. not sure what to do next.
any suggestions would be great, the kids are driving me mad.
Many Thanks

skidzy 20:28 20 May 2007

Maybe a repair if possible click here

Have you tried system restore from safemode ?

cassarat 20:34 20 May 2007

yes i tried all the modes just keeps looping back to the same page. The windows disk loads files then says starting windows and the screen goes blank, doesnt give me the option of using repair, whenit goes blank i have left it for 2 hours but nothing happens.
Thanks

RobbyMac 20:44 20 May 2007

When you start loading windows do you need to load driver for the hard disk? It asks this at the beginning, most modern systems need a driver before windows install, I think its f6 you press to do this.

I would be surprised if the seatools would work as you are asking a fat32 tool to check an ntfs sytem!

Do you want to keep any files on the system?
If not I would do a clean install with format to clear whatever is on the disk.
Good luck

cassarat 20:52 20 May 2007

yes i have loads of programmes and files saved on the drive including activation codes from some download games, so i need to keep as much as possible.

i tried pushing f6 but it didnt do anything, not sure what to do if i do get into it either.
Thanks

cassarat 20:52 20 May 2007

yes i have loads of programmes and files saved on the drive including activation codes from some download games, so i need to keep as much as possible.

i tried pushing f6 but it didnt do anything, not sure what to do if i do get into it either.
Thanks

beeuuem 21:00 20 May 2007

Does this give any information that might help click here or can't you get that far?

skidzy 21:03 20 May 2007

As a guess here,possibly your master boot record (MBR) is infected or corrupt.

Ive no idea if this will work and may be corrected,but you could try:

When you get the A:\ prompt,try

A:\ Chkdsk
A:\ Fixmbr
A:\ Fixboot

cassarat 21:07 20 May 2007

i cant get that far, i get windows set up, starts loading then blank. Would it be possible to noot from the slave driver? would this help in any way?
Thanks

RobbyMac 21:23 20 May 2007

Mmmmmm when you say booting from xp cd what are you doing? You are normally given two options, fresh install or repair! If you have chosen the first option then you may have lost your files already!

Another option if your hard drive is big enough is to do a clean install in a different location this may then give you access to your files to back up.

cassarat 21:24 20 May 2007

i tried the a prompts and it returns with bad command or file name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires