Can't load ATI drivers

Rogerfredo 18:39 17 Sep 2006

I have been having problems starting my PC (reboots sometimes when the windoes loading screen is on), so I decided to do a re-install of XP Home (the type that saves your programs).
Having done this, I cannot get ATI drivers to load. I have re-installed the .NET v2.0, and tried the latest catalyst drivers as well as the original CD, but they always fail with an instruction to try loading VGA drivers first.
My display looks fine with the XP drivers although I don't have the full range of resolution available from the ATI drivers.
Anyone got any ideas?

Chris147 19:02 17 Sep 2006

Hi.

Try deleting ALL (Monitor & Graphics Card) drivers associated with graphics in Device Manager and rebooting. Windows should autodetect both items. If you have the driver disk for your Monitor, use it. Then install the ATI drivers.

HTH,

Chris.

woodchip 19:12 17 Sep 2006

Only thing I can think is, Start in Safe Mode by tapping F5 as computer starts then in Safe Mode Right Click Desktop\Properties\Settings\Advanced try changing Adapter to Generic VGA driver from List.

SANTOS7 19:12 17 Sep 2006

Try loading vga drivers for MOBO first, you will get them from manufacturers website..

PSF 19:20 17 Sep 2006

run the ATI removal tool and the re-install drivers with control panel. click here

Stuartli 21:17 17 Sep 2006

A first class guide to installing ATi (and nVidia) graphics drivers can be found at:

click here

However, I've found that ATi Tray Tools performs pretty much everything that the ATi Catalyst software does, but is a fraction of the size. See:

Can be downloaded from:

click here

You can also just install the ATi 6.8 drivers and not bother with all the bells and whistles if you don't need them; however Tray Tools simplifies the latter.

Stuartli 21:19 17 Sep 2006

Your display should work with Windows own graphics drivers initially if you completely remove all ATi traces (Drive Cleaner Pro freeware will do this and also for other drivers). See:

click here

Rogerfredo 06:58 18 Sep 2006

Thanks to all for your responses.
I tried them all but in the end was forced to restore the drive from an earlier backup, as the computer would not even boot in safe mode at one stage! Thank goodness for Drive Image (first time I have had to resort to this).

STREETWORK 07:18 18 Sep 2006

It is often the case with ATI drivers that they do not install properly because of a conlift with the sound card.

Follow this action...

1. Use ATI removeal tool and get rid of everything ATI.

2. Reboot PC

3. When windows starts it will load a generic driver. Cancel the 'windows found new hardware' Do not install at this time.

4. Install the drivers with the full package, control panel and drivers.

5. Reboot the PC

6. This time let windows load the drivers for the ATI card.

7. Check things work.

8. If they do not work, reinstall the sound card drivers or update them with the manufactures latest ones.

Post back if this does not work...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?