cant llog on until activate

alan2k1 16:49 24 Sep 2010

hi

i am reinstalling xp on a samsung netbook N130 all was going well until the welcome screen informing me i need to activate windows before logging on ... i have no problem in having to do this the coa is present and i am not attempting anything illegal ....i have plugged the ethernet cable in and follow the promts to activate on line which it tells me is unable to to ....prob would need the lan driver installing which obviously i cant do until i can get into windows...if i then opt to activate by telephone the installation id is not there

any ideas ?

thanks alan

gengiscant 16:58 24 Sep 2010

Do you not have the motherboard drivers etc that came with the net-book, failing that use someone else's PC to download the drivers to a flash drive, then install them on yours.
Get them here click here

alan2k1 17:38 24 Sep 2010

thanks for that
yes i can get the drivers but the problem is i cant get into windows to install them without activating the install first i cant do that on line and there is no install id showning to allow me to activate by telephone

gengiscant 17:46 24 Sep 2010

You should have 30 days to activate, I have never come across having to do it instantly.
Have you not had the option on screen to activate later? which of course would give you the time to install the necessary drivers.

alan2k1 18:01 24 Sep 2010

i havent come across this before either and i have tried to install twice with the same results
the message occurs just before you would expect the desktop to load and reads

this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on , do you want to activate windows now ? yes or no

clicking yes brings up the familiar activation screens however if you go for the telephone option no install id is present

the product key is genuine is the original and stuck to the bottom of the netbook and was fine when it needed to be entered during install
even if i click on the change product key option and re enter the product code i get the same result

gengiscant 18:30 24 Sep 2010

I would try phoning Microsoft UK for help.800 018 8354 Activation, I think if you keep hitting 0 you will get a real person.
Or 0800 281221 for Microsoft Technet.
Or 0800 0324479 Microsoft UK.

Eric10 18:44 24 Sep 2010

Phoning Microsoft may be the quickest solution but another solution would be to create a slipstreamed Windows XP CD using nLite click here in which you could include the LAN driver so that it will be installed with Windows.

tullie 19:26 24 Sep 2010

Have you done the installation from the hidden partition on your drive,or are you using an external dvd drive?

alan2k1 19:29 24 Sep 2010

external drive

tullie 20:02 24 Sep 2010

Have you tried reinstalling by pressing the appropriate keyboard keys, this will install the system,sorry i cant remember which keys,think its fn + one of the f keys.Its in the user manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?