Can't install updates from microsoft update websit

irongirl 10:25 27 Oct 2007

Hi,

I have the automatic updates option switched on on my computer and up to a few days ago it was working perfectly. However, now when I click the install option I'm getting a message which says 'wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'. I am a complete computer retard and have no idea even where to start looking for a solution.

Any help?

Taff™ 10:48 27 Oct 2007

Which operating system are you running? (XP, ME?) This could be a virus but unlikely. Chances are the program file has become corrupted. I think we can fix it. Did you get an OS disk with the computer. (Full OS Disk not a recovery disk)

VoG II 10:54 27 Oct 2007

This click here may be worth a try before we try anything else.

irongirl 11:09 27 Oct 2007

Taff,

Operating system is XP Pro. Haven't got the OS disk.

VoG,

Website is quite slow. Still trying to look around it.

Cheers

VoG II 11:29 27 Oct 2007

This may be an alternative click here

irongirl 11:39 27 Oct 2007

Okay,

Neither of those have worked. Knew it couldn't be that easy.

Taff™ 12:24 27 Oct 2007

Let`s go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes and note the space between c & /)

I think the file is a system file and system file checker may correct it.

irongirl 12:30 27 Oct 2007

It's asking me for the 'windows service pack 1 cd'. Is it bad if I don't have that?

Taff™ 13:53 27 Oct 2007

No but it suggests that you are well behind with your Microsoft updates. When was the last time you updated from the Microsoft Updates site?

Can you get updates manually? Go to Start>All Programs and select "Windows Update" from the top of the list. Select Custom rather than Express when you get to the site although you may have to install the latest Windows Updater first which may account for your problem.

Pamy 14:31 27 Oct 2007

click on run , then type in chkdsk /f it may say that it cannot run untill next reboot

irongirl 17:00 27 Oct 2007

Taff,

Have tried 3 times to manually download updates but each time Internet Explorer has 'encountered a problem and has to close'. Automatic updates were working up to three days ago.

At one point I think I may have turned the computer off in the middle of an update. When I turned the computer back on there was an error message stating that 'x program is unstable and should be removed'. I didn't pay much attention to it (should have known I was heading for trouble) and have had this problem ever since. I've considered removing all the updates I've gotten from the microsoft website to see if that will fix it but I'm afraid it will make no difference other than removing the updates I've already gotten.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?