Can't install touchpad driver

onthelimit1 17:11 15 Jun 2011

NEC laptop, XP Pro. Reinstall after crash. Got everything working except touchpad. It doesn't show in Device Manager. Downloaded the driver from NEC - when I click on the exe file, I get 'DLL could not be opened'. Any ideas please?

chub_tor 18:02 15 Jun 2011

You could always try the generic Synaptics driver for XP Click Here

woodchip 19:46 15 Jun 2011

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice i

woodchip 19:46 15 Jun 2011

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice in

woodchip 19:48 15 Jun 2011

If you see any yellow icons click on them then unistall and reboot

onthelimit1 20:07 15 Jun 2011

Thanks - I'll give those a go0 when I've taken the dog out (she who must be obeyed has spoken). No Yellow exclam marks, which is odd.

onthelimit1 20:50 15 Jun 2011

Very odd. Add Hardware sees nothing. Nothing in Device Manager except the USB mouse I'm using. Beginning to wonder if the touchpad is U/S?

chub_tor 08:15 16 Jun 2011

What model of NEC Laptop do you have? I have read a number of Google articles regarding touchpads not showing in Device Manager, some are hardware related others software. I just wanted to check that you have the correct download from NEC.

chub_tor 08:18 16 Jun 2011

You might want to run this utility to see if a touchpad is detected as part of your hardware.

onthelimit1 12:44 16 Jun 2011

Thanks C-T. Sorry for delay, but I've been stripping it down to see if the ribbon lead was loose - it wasn't!

Ran that utility - it only saw the mouse I have plugged into the USB port. The model is Versa M 340. The driver I downloaded originally came from their site for that model. Still getting 'DLL cannot be opened' from (what looks like) the .exe file.

woodchip 13:04 16 Jun 2011

You may need to do a windows repair to get it working

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017