Can't install MS updates

Earthsea 17:06 17 Jul 2007

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB922770)

Windows keeps telling me updates are ready for my computer but when I try to download and install them it fails. I've gone to the Windows Update site and it tells me they are already downloaded and ready to install, but when I try it fails again.

I did what the MS site suggested and made sure I had the latest Windows installer, and also removed all the .NET stuff from Add/Remove Programs and install them again but all to no avail (I couldn't remove .NET Framework 2.0 because it said other apps depended on it). I still get the balloon from my system tray telling me about the updates and it's driving me nuts!

Is there anywhere I can delete them from? I could try downloading them again then. Thanks.

Jackcoms 17:10 17 Jul 2007

Suggest you look around the Forum. This subject has been done to death over the last week or so

Earthsea 17:20 17 Jul 2007

Thanks Jackcoms, I didn't think of using Search! Glad I'm not the only one :)

Would I be right in thinking I just have to wait until MS sorts it out?

Jackcoms 17:37 17 Jul 2007

Possibly.

Another alternative is to completely un-install .NET Framework (all versions) using click here

Then re-install from MS Updates which will also 'offer' you the latest patches

gudgulf 18:00 17 Jul 2007

After having the same problem,I found they installed for me when I disabled (temporarily) the active on-access scanners of my antivirus (Antivir) and antispyware (Cpounterspy) programs.

Earthsea 18:45 17 Jul 2007

I ran the Windows Install Cleanup and deleted all the .NET stuff but still couldn't install the updates. I then went to Add/Remove Programs and tried to delete the .NET entries there but none of them would let me except for .NET Framework 2.0 which installed it! The install app must still be on my system because I didn't download anything. Anyway, the good news is I only had KB928365 to install, so I tried and it did!! Hurrah! I don't have that annoying balloon pestering me anymore.

On the downside, I went to Windows Update and it suggested the non-high priority .NET framework 3.0 to install, which is also downloaded, but it wouldn't.

Should I be worried about this? I don't even know what .NET is.

gudgulf, I disabled AVG but it still wouldn't install.

Thanks both of you.

Earthsea 21:22 17 Jul 2007

Can someone tell me what .NET is before I close this thread please? (In simple terms.) Not important, just curious.

Jackcoms 08:51 18 Jul 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?