Can't install Belkin pre-N wireless router

Red Devil 10:03 14 Jan 2006

Hi all,

I've just bought a Belkin wireless pre-N ADSL router and cannot get it working. I've run the install wizard several times and it always fails at the same point. It gets as far as the check hardware part and then fails with the error "problems communicating with router".

It also screws up my internet settings so that I have to perform a system restore to be able to use the internet again.

I can't get through to Belkin's technical support as I always get disconnected. I'm having problems with their support website - it keeps hanging every time I try and access it. Would anyone have any ideas over why it keeps failing to install? I'd appreciate any help that would get this up and running.

My ISP is Nildram with my internet connection coming through an ADSL router that I got free from Nildram. I already have a wired network with the connection shared through ICS with the firewall provided by using Norton IS. If there's any other info that I need to provide then let me know and I'll supply it.

Cheers.

Forum Editor 11:21 14 Jan 2006

This is what you should have done:-

1. Connect the power supply to the router.

2. Connect your modem to the router's WAN port (usually coloured green with Belkin Pre-N routers)

3. Connect your computer to the router using the Ethernet cable supplied.

4. Install the software.

Have you done all that - minus the software installation part?

Have you got an ADSL light on the router?

Red Devil 12:20 14 Jan 2006

Yes, 1-3 have all been done. As for the ADSL light, the DSL light is on on my router/modem and the internet light is on on the Belkin router.

Cheers.

Forum Editor 14:12 14 Jan 2006

on the machine via which you are trying to set up the router - turn it off, and then try again.

Red Devil 14:19 14 Jan 2006

I have Norton IS on my PC and turn if off every time I run the install wizard.

Forum Editor 14:31 14 Jan 2006

another router:-

"....an ADSL router that I got free from Nildram"

"...the DSL light is on on my router/modem".

I presumed you had a standalone modem connected to the Belkin router - you aren't trying to connect two routers together are you? It won't work if you are.

Red Devil 14:34 14 Jan 2006

It's an ADSL modem/router - a Zyxel Prestige 650R-31.

Is that why I'm having a problem?

Forum Editor 16:58 14 Jan 2006

You have a modem/router combination, and you're trying to connect another router to it; that isn't going to work at all.

The Belkin router you've bought is designed to be used with a standalone ADSL Ethernet modem.

Red Devil 17:01 14 Jan 2006

Cheers for that. Looks like I'll be getting a new ADSL modem then! Any reccommendations? ;)

Forum Editor 17:23 14 Jan 2006
  o'boogie 21:39 18 Jan 2006

Can anyone here please be of assistance?

I am installing a belkin pre-n router, i go through the set up but it wont connect to the internet.
I am using a d-link dsl300t as the modem and my isp is british telecom, i have even followed advice on the link above but nothing has worked. Belkin tech support is poor to say the least and i have attempted to change the ip address on the modem turn of dhcp servers on the modem.
When i ping the modem through the router i get no connection, but the router pings just fine. I can even connect my lap top to the router wirelessly but just cannot access the internet.
Belkin tell me the router is fine and it is a BT problem. BT and D-Link both assure me that as i can connect without problem without the router then it is this that is at fault.

I purchased 2 of these one for home and the oter for my girlfriends. The router i installed ther is terrific, with an ntl cable connection it works fine.

Can anyone help otherwise its going on e-bay and i will have to purchase an all in one router modem.

Thanks - Brett

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?