Can't install from ""Add-remove", lost Calc/games

KorgY 06:35 08 Jan 2008

Hello,

I wanted to install some extras in the Add-remove/accessories/utilities etc.

I added, but it removed the programs (all the games, Calculator, wordpad/paint etc.

No problem, I just reinstall them right?, well, i started doing that, and was prompted for my windows XP CD (home)I put it in ,and it keeps saying

"Cannot copy the file" Freecell.exe, type a path were it is loaded"""

Well, at this C:\WINDOWS\options\Install\i386 is displayed, so i target my CD (Laptop Toshiba Recovery disk) but all i see when finding my CD.DVD is a folder called: "i386" and when i click the folder it is empty (well nothing comes up.

What do i do from here?, don't think i can repair the Windows XP as it is a Recovery disk, not a standard XP one (which i also tried from my other pc to see if i could get anything.

TIA Don't want to do a format just to get my Calc/Games back!

Thanks

KorgY

birdface 10:33 08 Jan 2008

System restore maybe.

exodus 10:34 08 Jan 2008

Hi, first option, see if a system restore point is an option to overcome your problem.

Still no joy, see if this article helps.
click here

exo

birdface 10:40 08 Jan 2008

Try add remove.Add Remove Windows Components.Click on accessories and utilities[ there should be a tick on it] and press details.Do the same with Accessories[tick what you want,] and do the same with games.You might not get all your programs back but you will get some of them worth a try.

KorgY 20:26 08 Jan 2008

Well, i got it sorted after a long effort. I manually copied my files from Cd by pressing "Cancel/retry" when asked if i wanted to continue without copying the file. Although i wouldn't expect this to work, since the files say they wasn't copying, theyre ok now.

KorgY

pchelper001 20:44 08 Jan 2008

are the files on the cd hidden, try showing hidden files and folders, in folder options.

KorgY 20:48 08 Jan 2008

No, not hidden. ok now

KorgY

birdface 11:48 10 Jan 2008

Remember to tick the little square and press resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?