Cant instal WinXP_SP2 from ISO

AB's 02:07 13 Feb 2007

what im trying to do is install windowsSP2 from an iso file, ive burnt it to dvd as it wont fit on a cd, i mounted it with daemon but after comp reboots it say insert cd, did that but it keeps askin me to insert it, tryed installin from the iso image i had saved on my comp but get the same result. and now daemon wont open says something about virtual scsi driver not found...any ideas ??

ICF 07:30 13 Feb 2007

Have you tried unpacking the iso image with say isobuster click here

Then burning to CD or DVD

dms05 08:32 13 Feb 2007

AB's - it sounds very odd 'ive burnt it to dvd as it wont fit on a cd'. From recollection SP2 is about 250Mb and easily fits onto a CD, indeed MS distributed it this way. Check your version first.

Eric10 09:48 13 Feb 2007

Because you say that the ISO is too big to fit on a CD that makes me think that you have copied the ISO image to a DVD instead of actually 'burning' the image to a CD. ISO images contain information other than the data that will be transfered so are often larger that a standard CD size but this info isn't transfered during burning.

In Nero you need to use the 'Burn image' feature and not just burn the ISO image as data. In 'Nero Burning Rom' you cancel the 'New Compilation' wizard and go to 'Recorder, Burn Image' on the menu. In 'Nero Express' you click on the 'Image, Project, Copy' icon then 'Disc Image or Saved Project'. Either of these actions will bring up a dialogue box where you can select the ISO image to burn.

If your CD burning software is not Nero then tell us what you use and someone will know how to do the job with that particular package.

Strawballs 10:38 13 Feb 2007

Where did you get the ISO image from?

JayDay 10:47 13 Feb 2007

It sounds like you have made a slipstreamed CD, which creates an ISO file.Burning the ISO file onto a DVD/CD is not enough, you need to create a disc using the ISO file. For instructions on how to do this with Nero click here

AB's 11:26 13 Feb 2007

sorry for the confusion above it should have read.....WindowsXPSP2 from an iso file

Eric10 12:46 13 Feb 2007

Do you mean that the ISO is of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 applied or do you mean that it is just the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP?
In either case it still hinges on how you are trying to create a CD from the ISO image. Perhaps you could run through the steps you are taking to do this if it differs greatly from the method in JayDay's post.

eedcam 13:43 13 Feb 2007

Why cant you use original install disc? Windows is very protective against possible copies

JayDay 13:58 13 Feb 2007

Can you explain why you have an ISO image of SP2? Have you downloaded it? Have you created it? Why not use the SP2 disk? Is it a slipstreamed copy of XP with SP2?

terryf 14:01 13 Feb 2007

Why not slipstream click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?