Cant instal printer! I'm stumped

Deniset 14:11 19 Apr 2007

Have bought a new printer, inserted the disc, but keeps coming up with software not passed Windows logo testing, so called out an expert who thought it might be the USB cable, he tried another one but no success, then says he thinks the USB on the printer is faulty and has gone away!. So have tried to reinstal my old printer and now have the same problem.
Thw new printer is Canon Pixma MP160
Any suggestions in basic English for a silver surfer?

Minkey1 14:19 19 Apr 2007

Hi Deniset

You can usually ignore the warning message, and just OK it and continue, letting the installation procedure run.

Canon do excellent printers and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Run the software again and OK the warning when it comes up, then connect the printer when it asks you to.

skidzy 14:19 19 Apr 2007

The install wizard is asking you to verify if you trust the source of the software,hence this has not been passed by Microsoft.

Normally you can safely ignore the warning and carry on installing.

Though if indeed a usb problem,try refreshing all usb ports.

Windows key+Pause/hardware/Device Manager
Now uninstall everything under Usb and reboot,windows will install the generic drivers.Now try your printer again.
Note,some usb devices must not be connected untill the software is fully loaded.You maybe prompted to connect the usb device during the software install

skidzy 14:20 19 Apr 2007

This assuming you have XP windows.

MAJ 14:21 19 Apr 2007

It just means that the drivers haven't went through Microsoft's verification scheme, when you see that 'error' message, just click OK and the drivers will install and work okay.

Technotiger 14:22 19 Apr 2007

Hi, when it says has not passed Windows bla bla, you can ignore that, I think it also says 'continue anyway', and this is what you should click on.
Go ahead and install your new printer software, but make sure Printer is not connected to computer unless the software installation asks for it to be connected.

Technotiger 14:22 19 Apr 2007

Blimey - I MUST type a LOT faster :-))

MAJ 14:23 19 Apr 2007

Who, in the name of all that is holy, was the 'expert' that you called out by the way. He should have known that.

AndySD 14:26 19 Apr 2007

Try going Start then Control Panel then choose System choose Hardware then Driver Signing make sure the green dot is in the Warn-prompt box

skidzy 14:35 19 Apr 2007

absolutely spot on.I wonder how much this Expert charged Deniset ?

riiverstock 14:46 19 Apr 2007

Sounds like he pops in here from time to time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?