Can't initialize hard drive

Christopher Lewis 16:20 11 Sep 2006

I'm using Windows XP
After an upgrade to a working machine, I want to move the drive to this machine. The drive is connected and running, but I can't initialize it.
In Computer Management/Disk Management the Disk 1 icon appears, but has what looks like a 'No Entry' sign next to it. It is labelled as 'Not Initialized'. If I right-click on the shaded bar, the option for 'New Partition' is greyed out.

How can I make this drive useable?
Christopher

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 11 Sep 2006

Check jumper settings have you set it as slave if internally connected or master if connected in a external caddy.

Christopher Lewis 18:19 11 Sep 2006

Fruit Bat
Thanks for the interest. There are no jumpers, it's an SATA drive, linked straight to the mainboard. I was able to treat some other drives in the way I've described, without any problems.

irishrapter 18:25 11 Sep 2006

Try right clicking on the "no entry" sign, see if that has any options.

You could try using other software to format the drive, partition magic, Acronis etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 11 Sep 2006

Assuming a new drive(no data on it) just right click the drive and select initialize.

Once initialised you can then patition and format.

Christopher Lewis 19:23 11 Sep 2006

Thanks guys, that was one thing I hadn't thought of!
I right clicked on the combined 'Disk/No Entry' icon, and was given the option to initialize.
Thanks again
Christopher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?