Can't Initialise New Hard Drive in Disk Management

Solartopi 16:06 21 Sep 2007

Hi Folks,

I have just added a new 80GB hard drive to my computer. When Windows XP Pro booted up I got a Window saying - Not Logo Tested - or something to that effect. There were two options - Continue Regardless or Microsoft warned not to - Shut down - something like that. I chose Continue.

I can't see the New hard Drive in My Computer.

I tried to Format the New hard Drive from Disk Management.

In Disk Management I got my old 'C' & the Partition in 'C.'Noted as Disk 'O' with their amount of GBs.

Below I got Disk 1 - Unknown 74.53GBs Not Initialised. Unallocated.

I Selected Initialise and now 'Not Initialised' has gone & I now have 'Online' written there.

What do I do from here on please. Please HELP!!!

Solartopi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 21 Sep 2007

Disk Management. format disk 1

It should then be seen in My computer.

Solartopi 16:26 21 Sep 2007

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

How do I Format in Computer Management Window, I can't see FORMAT.

Please indicate.

Solartopi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 21 Sep 2007

Disk MANARiht click My computer - select manage - storage - disk management - right click disk 1 - select format.

daniel22 16:31 21 Sep 2007

In disk management has it the option to delete partition. If it does, then delete and the rebuild the partition. this will set off the wizard to format the disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 21 Sep 2007

Right click My computer - select manage - storage - disk management - right click disk 1 - select format.

Solartopi 16:44 21 Sep 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/,

When I Right Clock Disk1 this is what I get - Convert To Dynamic Disk, Properties, Help.

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/ forgive me, if I'm being a pain.

Solartopi

Solartopi 16:49 21 Sep 2007

daniel22,

It says/has New Partition.

Solartopi

Solartopi 16:50 21 Sep 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/,

When I Right Clock Disk1 this is what I get - Convert To Dynamic Disk, Properties, Help.

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/ forgive me, if I'm being a pain.

Solartopi

sunny staines 16:52 21 Sep 2007

if you have a seagate hdd you need to do this with the seagate tools downloaded from their web site. [ i had similar problem]
Seagate diskwizard click here
Seatools click here

daniel22 16:54 21 Sep 2007

Has it the option to delete the partition? If it has it would be easier.

Because you are using XP Pro you could convert to a dynamic disk, though only XP pro computers would see this. click here You should also have the facility to revert back to a basic disk if you require.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?