Cant get XP to load on SATA Drive

Doire_Bhoy 10:12 23 Aug 2006

Ok i have tried everything here.

Tried loading XP on the SATA drive as C , with another SATA as D and the IDE as E

Tried Loading XP on the IDE drive as C, with SATA as D and the other SATA as E

XP just wont load on

All drives are recognised in the BIOS

Do all SATA drives need drivers? Even if they are new drives. Will XP not just recognize the drives anyway as XP already has the drivers?

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

FelixTCat 10:22 23 Aug 2006

Doire_Bhoy,

XP needs a driver to install on a SATA drive. When you start the installation, you are asked to insert a floppy containing necessary drivers. That's when you insert a floppy drive containing the SATA drivers, then XP will install.

Regards,

Felix

mattyc_92 10:32 23 Aug 2006

You need to insert the "floppy disc" that contains the "SATA drivers (it should of came with your motherboard or SATA controller card).
Press "F6" during setup (when it says to at the bottom of the screen) to add these drivers.

I have noticed that I, myself, need to remove my IDE hard-disc first, as otherwise Windows will register that drive as "C:\"

Doire_Bhoy 10:37 23 Aug 2006

Thanks for the replies.

However i have pressed F6 and loaded on the drivers with floppy etc, but XP install just falls over.

This is a brand new XP OEM disc bought from Microsoft.

Is it possible to try and load XP on the IDE drive then install the SATA drives later?

Thanks

mattyc_92 10:38 23 Aug 2006

What do you mean by "falls over"?
Are the drives (the SATA drives) listed for installation?
Do you get any error messages?

Doire_Bhoy 10:41 23 Aug 2006

The drives are in the BIOS and are listed for installation.

The pc just freezes

mattyc_92 10:52 23 Aug 2006

Try going onto your motherboard's/SATA controller card's manufactorer's website, and download the latest drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?