Can't get Word2003 to adopt new normal.dot

johnincrete 16:39 23 Feb 2010

At various times, toolbars have been added to Word 2003 and each addition appears on a line on its own. I opened normal.dot, removed these additional toolbars via view/toolbars & saved.
Opened new doc & no change.
Found normal.dot & renamed to oldnormal.dot.
Opened new doc & no change.
Found various shortcuts to normal.dot & deleted all.
Opened new doc & Still no change. Removed extra toolbars again. Would not allow me to save as normal.dot so saved as newnormal.dot. Closed Word. Renamed newnormal.dot to normal.dot.
Opened Word & guess what! Still no change.
How I hate all things Microsoft!
Any ideas please.

Sea Urchin 16:51 23 Feb 2010

Just renew the normal.dot template. Maje sure Word is closed then go to Start and Search for normal.dot - then rename it/them oldnormal.dot and close search box. Open Word and you will be "back to basics".

johnincrete 17:03 23 Feb 2010

That's what I thought but it just does not work.
I repeat: there is NO file called normal.dot but Word still persists and still has the additional toolbars on extra lines.

Sea Urchin 17:13 23 Feb 2010

There has to be a normal.dot file or Word will not open - however, you need to display hidden files. Go to Control panel - Folder Options - View tab and check against Show hidden files and folders. Then Apply and OK. Now search again.It also helps to uncheck the button beside Hide extensions for known file types so you can "see" the .dot

james105051 17:13 23 Feb 2010

If you are opening Word, you will have a Normal.dot, otherwise it will not open. Have you used the search tool to look for it, checking the option to search in hidden files and folders.

james105051 17:14 23 Feb 2010

Sorry, must learn to type faster!!.

bremner 17:14 23 Feb 2010

If there is no file on the computer called normal.dot i.e. you have deleted or renamed it then when you next open word a new normal.dot will be created.

Word must have a file called normal'.dot to work. Have you enabled 'show hidden files in the O/S

Sea Urchin 17:21 23 Feb 2010

I'm glad we all agree :@)

Sea Urchin 17:37 23 Feb 2010

You say

"I repeat: there is NO file called normal.dot"

and yet you are opening, changing, closing normal.dot to no effect. So it must be there.

Your problem is you are trying to deal with the template with Word open - it must be closed before you work on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache