can't get wifi usb adaptor to connect

pookie 14:05 25 May 2014

Hi,

Windows 7 sp1. PlusNet fibre using Openreach modem and own Netgear dualband router.

I have been connecting pc upstairs to wifi by old n150 usb wifi adaptor and it works ok. I got a Belkin dualband wifi usb adaptor to make the pc upstairs on the 5Ghz channel. However, even with the latest Belkin drivers I can't get it to scan nor connect to either the 2.4 or 5Ghz ssid's. It just says no network connection. I tried the adaptor in different usb slots but no change and tried the old n150 and it worked fine.

I brought the Belkin back and had it replaced and still the same thing. The light on it comes on blue ok but it just says no network connection and doesn't scan for available wifi connections.

Any ideas?

Jollyjohn 15:02 25 May 2014

If you right click on the network icon , usually in bottom right corner, and use Windows, not Belkin to scan for available networks, what happens?

You may get a message about Windows is not able to scan unless you turn on a Wireless service. Sorry if that is a bit vague, I am doing this from memory.

Once you get it to scan for available networks do check your router settings that ssid is visible and it allows new stations to connect

pookie 16:46 26 May 2014

Thanks for the reply but I still can't get it to work

mole1944 18:44 26 May 2014

You did get the correct type of modem i.e. adsl or cable

pookie 22:29 26 May 2014

Yeap. All other devices connect wirelessly to 2.4 or 5Ghz and in my PC the n150 WiFi USB adaptor works. Just can't get the belkin to work

pookie 22:50 30 May 2014

Problem solved. After much research it turns out that zonealarm products can have issues with installing belkin drivers. I uninstaaled zonealarm, used windows firewall and installed belkin driver again. It scanned and found wireless connection straightaway.

Jollyjohn 11:18 31 May 2014

If you are using a router you don't need a software firewall. Most modern routers use NAT - Network Address Translation - to direct incoming traffic to the correct PC. Incoming traffic is directed to the PC that requested it only. If there is no outgoing request no incoming traffic is allowed unless you start setting up port forwarding and remote desktop connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?