Can`t get speakers to work on new pc

morthin 16:20 29 Jan 2009

I should not be putting this on this forum, but the thing is i can`t get my speakers to work on my daughters new pc.
it is a Packard bell imedia x2424 AI0
machine, she has purchased some cheap speakers from Argos but i can`t get them to work.When you play a music cd you can see the bar moving depending on the tone level but nothing conmes out of the spaeakers.
I have tried the speakers on my own pc and they work.
I have checked in the control panel and it shows that the device is working properley.
I have tried everything that is basic, but they still don`t work, i am tempted to take it back to PC world.Has any one got any suggestions ?
Many thanks

Stuartli 17:06 29 Jan 2009

Open up the Volume control panel by clicking on the Volume icon in the Taskbar and ensure that all the sliders are at or near maximum and that Mute has not been selected.

Then check that nothing is Muted in anything that uses sound (such as Windows Media Player).

Also go to Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>General tab to ensure that Mute is not ticked and that Show Volume Icon is Enabled (if you could use it previously it will be); then have a look in the Audio and Voice tabs to check/ensure your Sound Device (on-board or sound card) is set as the Default.

You can't check in Control Panel if the device is working properly - this is done in Device Manager (ensure that Use This Device is Enabled in the drop down menu).

Stuartli 17:07 29 Jan 2009

I presume you are using the correct sound socket for the speakers' jack plug?

Stuartli 17:08 29 Jan 2009

As it's a new system, could be worth checking that on-board sound is Enabled in the Bios (most likely listed as AC 97) if it doesn't have a sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires