Can't get sound working

spirojunk 00:43 24 Jul 2007

I've recently put together a new system with a motherboard I've used before. The system works fine with a new install of Windows XP Media Center, but I can't get the sound to work.

The sound is an onboard Realtek AC97, and it has worked fine in the past. There are no device conflicts, and I've gone through the paltry windows troubleshooting.

Does anyone know why it isn't making any sound?

Thanks

I am Spartacus 00:45 24 Jul 2007

Have you installed the drivers?

pk46 00:57 24 Jul 2007

Is the sound activated in the bios?? if you click on contol panel and click on the sound icon is it grayed out? if the same is showing in system that the soumd is not installed then as has been said drivers are required.

pk46 01:03 24 Jul 2007

If you have the mobo disk NOT THE WXP DISK put it in the drive go to system and click on sound and update driver the driver will be found.
You haven't muted the sound by anychance??

spirojunk 01:24 24 Jul 2007

I've installed the most up to date drives available on the ASUS website. The sound IS activated in the BIOS. I haven't muted the sound.

Any more ideas?

birdface 08:25 24 Jul 2007

Try,Control Panel.Administrative Tools, Services,Scroll down till you get to windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic,If you have no success ,You could try this but only as a last resort.click here=

birdface 08:28 24 Jul 2007

Oops forget that last click here.It's only for Chipset based motherboards.

spirojunk 10:48 24 Jul 2007

I tried the administrative tools route, but it was already set to automatic.

Can anyone else help? I'd love you forever!

I am Spartacus 11:06 24 Jul 2007

Did you install the Vista or 64-bit drivers by mistake? I would try reinstalling them from the drivers disk and if it works consider updating them from the Asustek site.

spirojunk 11:12 24 Jul 2007

I originally installed the drivers from the CD and that didn't work either. I've since installed the downloaded driver hoping that would fix it, but it didn't.

Anything else?

I am Spartacus 11:23 24 Jul 2007

Obvious really but are the speakers switched on and connected to the correct ports.

Does anything show up in the Realtek HD Audio Manager or Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel? Are there any settings you can change in there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?