Can't get sound on new build

cleet the don 21:11 10 Sep 2006

Please can someone save my sanity.
I've just built a computer for a mate (started as an upgrade, I think there's a screw left from old, quite infectious this building your own?)which didn't go too bad considering its my first. Only problem I've got is no sound. I personally think it a hardware connection as when a CD is played, I can see the graphics and bar moving in WMP, and when messing with the speaker jack, there is the interferance crackling through them. I know the speakers are ok as they're off my own computer & I've checked the bios, sound driver, all the various volume controls I can think of, checked the connections to the disks & mobo. I haven't got the case speaker working yet (for the warning sounds)but I hope I'm right thinking this shouldn't affect the CD player.
If it helps, the mobo is a K8M800, Sempron CPU, Maxtor 80 Gb Hdd & driver is AC 97(current as far as I know, off the mobo disk.
Its probably something simple but this has taken me nearly as long as the computer itself, so far, to sort. I humbly await the exhorted members expert advice (How does that rate for crawling, hehe!)

STREETWORK 21:14 10 Sep 2006

No sound from AC97...

Try and check it using Direct x

ed-0 21:16 10 Sep 2006

First thing. Is there any yellow exclamtion marks in device manager, thats :-

Control panel > sysytem > hardware > device manager.

Also you are using a K8M800, but which manufacturer and model number. thats a chipset.

skidzy 21:19 10 Sep 2006

Realtek AC97 audio driver package a3.92

Just maybe click here

Worth a try,if you havn't already.

cleet the don 21:34 10 Sep 2006

Thanks for that folks, will give these a try tomorrow & let you know how it went.

cleet the don 18:56 20 Oct 2006

Sorry to take so long to reply, work does interfer with fun. Anyway, found out divvy bloke here put the IDE cable the wrong way round (doh) but the mobo was missing jumpers on the sound pins (not me, not me!!!), so all up and running now.
Thanks to you guys that answered

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone