can't get rid of thumbnails

Phrixos 13:26 20 Mar 2009

I've just discovered that when I delete a file, the thumbnails are left behind. (If I do a search for a deleted file, it still comes up on a search, but when clicked on, I am told the file no longer exists--but the thumbnail still does! This si annoying.

Where are thumbnails stored, and how do I get rid of them?

march 14:56 20 Mar 2009

try this Phrixos

1. In Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options or open the Folder Options icon in the Control Panel.
2. Choose the View tab, and turn off the Do not cache thumbnails option.
3. Click Ok.

use disk cleanup to remove them from your pc

march 15:08 20 Mar 2009

ps

to change it for all your folders then in the view panel under 'folder views' click on 'apply to folders' click yes

Phrixos 15:22 20 Mar 2009

thanks

march 15:42 20 Mar 2009

Phrixos just found this in help section

To
Always show static icons of files and never show thumbnail previews of files. (Use this setting if the thumbnail previews are slowing down your computer. You'll get better performance by using static icons).

Click the View tab, and then select the Always show icons, never thumbnails check box.

Jak_1 16:04 20 Mar 2009

If you have Ccleaner then this will clear all thumbnails in the windows explorer thumbnail cache. It is usualy ticked by default.

Phrixos 16:38 20 Mar 2009

Uh, Sorry, March, that I didn't say this before, but I'm using Vista and not XP--& there is no "Do not cache thumbnails" in Vista. (There is "Always show icons, never thumbnails", but that is not the same thing. I don't want to use the "Always Show Icons..." setting since, as I do a lot of graphics, I find thumbnails very handy.

Jak: I did use CCleaner--and was completely surprised to see that it did not do the job! They're still there. I even reformatted the entire partition (after transferring, then re-transferring the still-wanted files)--and STILL they are there. (What a surprise THAT was!) I've tried to trace the file names in regedit, using some sample file names, but there is no trace of any of these even in the registry--and while the files are gone, STILL the thumbnails are there.

You're certainly correct about too many thumbnails slowing down a computer. (I'm a strong advocate of Advanced System Care, which has always kept my System singing, but now, something is slowing it down and which I cannot account for. (Yes, I have done a deep-scan for viruses: zero.)

Phrixos 16:40 20 Mar 2009

Surely these thumbnails are cached, somewhere. (They're certainly not in the Windows Explorer Thumbnail cache, which CCleaner does clean.)

Graphicool1 17:27 20 Mar 2009
  Phrixos 22:38 20 Mar 2009

Well, that worked!

Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?