can't get rid of rogue spyware program

darthballs 13:49 08 Jul 2009

ive downloaded something that had rogue spyware withit, called advanced virus remover. I've removed it with malwarebytes and spybot but it comes back on restart. i can't go to task manager as it locks you out of getting into task manager. ive found info on it, and advice on deleting it via start run, regedit but it locks you out of getting into regedit and system restore also, any ideas guys?

thanks

gengiscant 13:51 08 Jul 2009

Whats the name of the malware?

darthballs 13:54 08 Jul 2009

its calling itself advanced virus removal, before it did download the actual program, and "scanning" finding viruses that arnt there, its a bogus program that they try to get you to pay for.

Graphicool1 13:57 08 Jul 2009

Download and run the Free (home version) of 'Spyware Blaster' click here

darthballs 13:59 08 Jul 2009

thanks graphic, ill give that a try and let you know later. its a pain, now, i can't find it on the system, and im dreading having to reformat!

Sea Urchin 14:00 08 Jul 2009

You can't run Spywareblaster - it doesn't run scans, but is a protective shield (and very effective) but too late in this case.

darthballs 14:02 08 Jul 2009

oh yeah, doh! anything else? ive got a-squared. gonna give it a go

Sea Urchin 14:05 08 Jul 2009

Try running this removal tool for Advances Virus Remover - scroll down page to download button

click here

darthballs 14:10 08 Jul 2009

thanks sea urchin, but it links through from that page to download spyware doctor, that only removes with the paid for version

Graphicool1 14:21 08 Jul 2009

-
My apologies for 'Foot-in-Mouth'

Graphicool1 14:26 08 Jul 2009

What about 'Avast' Free Home Version click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?