Can't get rid of gebcb.dll

Jomi 00:17 10 Sep 2006

This DLL file is connected to command.exe which causes pop up ads while I'm surfing.
From what I've read online Hijack this, spybot S&D, Ewido, and FixVundo.exe should all remove it but it's still here even after running the above in safe mode and at start up. The gebcb.DLL file is in the c/windows/system32 folder and all attempts to delete it manually (including in safe mode)result in an 'access denied' message.
I can disable its activities (I think) with BHO demon but I have to do so at every time I connect to the net.
There are entries in the registry controlset002 and controlset003.
Can anyone help with this or point me to some useful sites?

thanks,

John

rdave13 00:24 10 Sep 2006
  ianeon 04:43 10 Sep 2006

If you put "gebcb.dll" into Google you come up with lots of ways to remove this. I'm sure that one of them will work

STREETWORK 07:17 10 Sep 2006

Make sure that you disable system restore before running any removal tools. Once removed, re-enable system restore.

Consider running Hijackthis and posting a log file on a suitable website for analysis.

VoG II 08:13 10 Sep 2006
  Jomi 08:52 10 Sep 2006

Rdave13 - IE blocked the download from that site.

ianeon - Already did that most are trial versions of programs or recommend spybo S&D, Hijack this etc.

STREETWORK - tried that too.

VoG - This program shwed that Gebcb.dll was running under winlogon. When I tried to kill the process I got an immediate black screen and reboot. I'll have another go with the 'unlock' option and come back.

Thanks for trying though everyone it's appreciated.

STREETWORK 08:56 10 Sep 2006

Run the super anti-spyware program.
click here

STREETWORK 09:02 10 Sep 2006

The file can be found in system32 folder. When you find it...

select it, hold down the shift key and hit delete.

Download and run hijackthis

click here

Save a log file and post it here

click here

A kind person will assist in removing the remnants of this...

Jomi 09:15 10 Sep 2006

Rdave13 pointed me to the The super antispyware program but IE blocks the download.
I already have hijackthis but I'll try posting it.

The UNLOCKER.exe identifies that the gebcb.dll is running but when I kill the process or unlock it my system crashes and reboots, I tried it in normal and in safe mode.

Jomi 00:11 14 Feb 2007

When I eventually got the Superantispyware download, that did the trick, thank you all for the help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?