Can't get past Trojan :S

sassy1976 10:33 16 Mar 2011

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me! My daughter got a trojan/virus/adware on the pc last night and I tried running AVG but it puts a stop to any antvirus software. So I thought stuff it I will just back up some data and try installing windows xp again! It runs the disc ok until I have to 'agree' to the t&c's and f8 won't work at all, only the esc key to cancel. Has anyone got any ideas pls? Thanks n advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :D x

johndrew 11:10 16 Mar 2011

The OS would be helpful.

If you can still boot the PC, boot into 'Safe Mode' and run AVG from there. Before you do so turn off 'System Restore' to negate any reinfection from there.

If you can`t boot, go to click here and download the rescue CD and make a copy. Boot the PC from this and use it to clean the malware.

Hopefully you will clear the problem and be able to boot. If not, you could try a 'Repair'. If XP click here or click here If Vista click here If W7 click here

birdface 12:12 16 Mar 2011

If the computer will still start go to the control panel and internet options.Connections.Lan settings.
If use a proxy server is ticked untick it and quickly go to AVG update and run it.
Is that it does she not have any anti-malware programs on her computer as I cannot see AVG removing it but you never know.
Malwarebytes HitmanPro and Trojan Remover are three good programs for removing Trojans.
But you have to stop it running first that is why you have to make sure proxy server is unticked the trojan will either come back and retick it or run with it unticked.

Strawballs 12:20 16 Mar 2011

johndrew try installing xp again is a bit of a clue.

Is it a laptop? if so you will have to press the F lock button before F8 will work, Laptops F buttons double up for other functions.

sassy1976 16:38 16 Mar 2011

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure how but AVG has managed to get past it! It wouldn't let me scan the pc at first but after many attempts it ran and I found the 2 trojans in quarantine :D All back to normal again :D x

birdface 18:06 16 Mar 2011

I would give the free version of Malwarebytes an update and then run.

click here

And maybe keep it on your computer and update and run it occasionally.

johndrew 10:14 17 Mar 2011

Given the Trojan was blocking the installation of Windows (presumably to protect itself) it is also likely the existing installation was intact.

My theory appears to have been proven would you say?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?