Can't get internet access on my desk top

geek84 21:50 13 Oct 2009

I am not very computer literate & was wondering if someone will be able to advice on the following problem that I have -

I have both a desk top & a lap top. My lap top is just over a year old and my desk top is about 10 years old. I also have a router located downstairs in my living room, to enable me to get remote access to the internet. My lap top can get the internet access, but my desk top cannot get internet access. Do I need to down load specific software on my desk top in order for the desk top to get internet access, or do I need to insert some type of cable in my desk top?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Ashrich 21:58 13 Oct 2009

I should think that an ethernet card fitted inside the PC then ethernet cable from the router to the ethernet cable should do it .

Ashley

oldbeefer2 09:38 14 Oct 2009

If your PC is close enough to run a cable to the router, Asrich's solution would be the best. If not, a wireless dongle is an alternative(assuming the router is a wireless one) click here. If you need to install an ethernet card (it's very easy to do) one of these click here would fit the bill

Ex plorer 10:19 14 Oct 2009

Section two lesson three how to instaall a PCI card.
click here

Ex plorer 10:26 14 Oct 2009

The type of card shown is for wireless but its the same as oldbeefer2 suggests for a Ethernet card. There is also a verbal instruction with the lesson if you have speakers, if not disconnect the power from desk top before you start any internal work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?