can't get drive shortcuts to work on desktop

Andy.F. 16:14 10 Sep 2004

Sorry good folks, it's thicko again. I just bought this new computer after using win98 for years I'm now on XP. When I put a shortcut to my drives onto desktop (in my computer they are..DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) ..and ... DVD-RW Drive (F:) ) I get the following message...missing shortcut. windows is searching for E:\. to locate the file yourself click browse. then I get . problem with shortcut, fix it, delete it, cancle. If I click fix it , it comes up with the nearest program it can find...nothing more or less. the same reply to drive F:. I've tried right click and create shortcut...right click and drag, create shortcut here and left click and drag to desktop..no joy. I sent a shotcut to my hard drive without any problem. any ideas please. many many thanks. Andy

Diodorus Siculus 16:21 10 Sep 2004

Try simply dragging the drive from "my computer" to the desktop - it will ask if you want a shortcut there and say yes.

Or get TweakUI and try to repair the shortcuts.

Andy.F. 16:26 10 Sep 2004

I've been trying to drag from my computer to desktop for hours m'friend...what is TweakUI and where do I get it.

Belatucadrus 17:22 10 Sep 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?