Can't get a dial-tone

DIYgirl 20:23 27 Mar 2005

My parents in law have a two year old Dell computer and now want to use the internet for the first time ever.

They have installed software from their chosen ISP but it fails as the computer can't get a dial-tone.

I have checked all the connections and everything seems fine; I haven't checked that their cable is OK as they don't have a spare, but I will do that next time I go to visit them.

I've reinstalled the modem driver, as advised to do by the computer. No improvement.

I checked the modem's "properties" in device manager and noticed that the modem is listed as being attached to COM3; but when I click the line "Ports (COM & LPT) it only lists COM1 and Printer port (LPT1)--nothing about COM3. Could this have something to do with the problem getting a dial-tone? And if so, how do I correct it? They are using Windows XP by the way.

woodchip 20:30 27 Mar 2005

You do have a com port problem, but port 1 and three are linked go firt to Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Panel Select the choose from list and select port

great1 20:34 27 Mar 2005

click here

had the same problem turns out i was using the wrong cable

DIYgirl 20:39 27 Mar 2005

I've had a look at that other thread and don't think it applies here: the cable being used is the one supplied with the computer, and I already checked that the "never dial a connection" box was not ticked. I'll see if woodchip's suggestion makes a difference when I go there next and if not, I'll post again.

woodchip 20:43 27 Mar 2005

If after setting up the port and it does not work try removing the Modem from Device Manager and restart comp it may see the new port

pompyx 20:57 27 Mar 2005

Does their ISP's Dial up connection appear in Internet options under the connection tab, and is "Always Dial my Internet connection" checked in the same location, I am assuming that it is the same as win 98 SE, appologies if I am wrong but it would be worth a check.

Josie29 21:27 27 Mar 2005

I had the same problem about a year ago, however I was already connected to the net, I tryed everything and as a last resort i installed a new modem, it worked perfectley after that. try a new modem, thankfully they are not expensive.

dan11 21:49 27 Mar 2005

Com3 is a virtual port created ( by windows )from com1.

To test the modem, under XP. Control panel > phones and modems > modems ( highlight the modem) > properties > diagnostics > query modem.

If it comes back as success click here This should show that the modem, drivers and com port are fine.

DIYgirl 22:20 27 Mar 2005

woodchip, thanks for that. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the modem, just in case, and that's apparently fine.

dan11, I ran the "query modem" feature that you describe too, and it was OK.

pompeyx, I'll check into that when I go there next.

Thanks, all, for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

woodchip 22:25 27 Mar 2005

if query modem came back with info it should work

DIYgirl 22:30 27 Mar 2005

woodchip, it SHOULD work--but it doesn't (sounds a bit like me). Still no dial-tone. Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?