Can't get computer to switch on

Nuneatonian 08:47 04 Nov 2006

Hi all
I am having trouble turning my computer on. I think there is something wrong with the switch/ connctions. It can take me hours to get it on. This morning it took me a long time. I push in the buttom the lights flicker and then it goes off again. I have been wanting to come on PC Advisor for two days to ask for help but couldn't get the blinking thing to switch on.
Any help out there.
Thank you in advance.

I daren't switch it off now.
Nuneatoian

Benontheroad 09:36 04 Nov 2006

It sounds like there is a loose connection on the wire from the motherboard to the power switch - if you are using a desktop pc not a laptop that is

Depending on your level of confidence you could open the desktop and check that the wire running from the switch to the motherboard is seated/soldered properly

Other than that it might be a problem with the power unit itself

*do not try and fix the power unit yourself though - there is enough zap in those things to kill you*

If you are unsure I would take it to a engineer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:38 04 Nov 2006

I think there is something wrong with the switch/ connctions.

Does you PC have apowr switch and a reset switch?
If so you can swap the connections on the mother board to prove it is the swith hat is faulty.

If this makes no difference then it is mire likely that your PSU is dying.

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Nuneatonian 22:13 04 Nov 2006

Hi there
I just hope its just a loose connection. I am not in a position to buy another computer, so if it is had it, I won't have a computer at all.
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Some of the things mentioned are far too technical for me to tackle and I probably wouldn't attempt to do.

Regards
Nuneatonian

woodchip 22:24 04 Nov 2006

Most likely a Faulty Power Supply

terryf 22:31 04 Nov 2006

Whatever you do, with your apparent knowledge remember 'Elf and Safety' and pull the mains plug from the wall and NEVER try to go inside the power supply unit (a box at the inside top rear of your PC). There are components in there that hold electricity a long time

Nuneatonian 09:26 12 Nov 2006

Hi all
I am thinking of installing a new CPU. How easy is it? I have installed extra memory and installed a new cd rom. Are there safety issues and what are they? I know the unit holds electric for a while how do I discharge it? Do I need that thermal compound they mention in the instructions I have printed from the link for Fruit Bat.
How much are the units? Is this all I need to buy? And whatis this about bios etc this is slighly beyond me??!!

Thanks in advance
Nuneatonian

Strawballs 09:41 12 Nov 2006

You are getting confused what the suggestions are the PSU Power supply unit that is at the back at the top as already mentioned it is the unit that the power lead plugs into at the back of the tower. The CPU is the central proccesing unit (the brain) that plugs into the mother board.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:49 12 Nov 2006

You have obviously looked at this click here

Installing a CPU is the first tutorial changing a PSU is approx halfway down the page Installing a Desktop Power Supply.

Nuneatonian 12:41 12 Nov 2006

Hi all
It just proves I'm not a computer buff! I thought the cpu meant the part of the computer that the power comes from which I now is the psu, I have actually printed out the instructions in case I cannot get the computer on again. Regarding the electric, how do you get rid of this and how hard is it to replace? Do I need special tools?
Nuneatonian

Strawballs 12:46 12 Nov 2006

All you need is a phillips screw driver and follow the instructions that you have printed out from the link that Fruit Bat /\0/\ gave you.
You will not need to get rid of the electricity in the old PSU as you will not need to take it apart and when done just plug it back in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone