Cant get back into windows,powers up ok.

Dancingbrave 08:53 09 Sep 2006

7 days old pc XP os, last night just froze and could
only shut down from switch on back of pc.Booted up ok but splash screen said missing file windows cannot start please put in windows cd to restore corrupt or missing file.Did not take note of file because below it said use your up down arrows to choose last stable period or something like that,after pressing enter it the screen went blank,now it powers up ok but nothing on screen,no floopy drive like my old pc and the windows cd will just not run,cant even get to safe mode and no support help till monday.Only installed new wireless mouse a hour before may be a problem.

Diodorus Siculus 08:55 09 Sep 2006

When booting up do you see a message lie "press del to enter setup" or the like?

If so, or if you have an alternative means, go intoo the bios and ensure that it is told to boot from CD.

Then put CD into drive and restart pc; from there choose the repair option.

Mark5001 09:30 09 Sep 2006

As Diodorus Siculus says go to the BIOS and choose CD as your first boot device. Then:
You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system should now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

REPLACE NTLDR Missing File
The Missing Files that normally stop boot.

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from

the CD-ROM drive letter "D". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Strawballs 09:46 09 Sep 2006

When doing "last known good configuration" it can take a long time, all you get is a blank screen and you have to have a bit of patience.

Dancingbrave 10:28 09 Sep 2006

No there is no message press del to enter setup i know that would give me a chance to do something,but there is nothing at all,i have pressed del and nothing not a murmer so cannot get to bios.just dont know what to do.

terryf 10:31 09 Sep 2006
  Graham. 11:17 09 Sep 2006

Check method to enter BIOS on your PC
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 09 Sep 2006

7 days old pc XP os, last night just froze

At only 7 days old I would take it back to where you bought it from.

Reboot and keep pressing F8 you should get a menu up, choose Last Known good configuration.
try first.

To get into BIOS depends on manufacturer F1, ESC, Del, are common keys used.

Dancingbrave 15:19 10 Sep 2006

Thanks everyone,a freind has told me he got a blank screen on bootup before and said he checked the memory to find one of the two sticks would not work but the other worked ok and the pc came back on fine.he bought a new stick of memory to replace the old and not had a problem for a year.Will phone support to give details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?