can't get 2 way communcation on network

jjuhlin 01:00 22 Dec 2008

I have successfully created a nework (MSHOME) consisting of one laptop (laptop1) and one desktop (desktop1). The laptop is connected wirelessly, the laptop is connected via ethernet cable. The router is a 2wire 2700HG-D provided by my DSL provider. Both computers can connect to the internet with no problem.

The laptop runs XPprofessional. The desktop runs 98version2.

The laptop is visible to the desktop and I can pull files from the laptop onto the desktop with no problem.

Both computers show MSHOME in NetworkNeighborhood\Entire Network. But in each case, they show Laptop1 as the only member of that network.

I am unable to make Desktop1 visible to either computer's "network neighborhood".

I have tried configuring the desktop computer a couple of diffrent ways, but currrently I have:

User Level Access = on
Laptop1 has access to shared resources

Under "passwords", Laptop1 is named as a remote administrator.

But I just can't get Desktop1 to show up as a member of the MSHOME network. And even though Desktop1 recognizes Laptop1 as a remote administrator, Laptop1 has no access to Desktop1.

This seems like a very rudimentary network, and it ALMOST works like a planned, but not quite. This is my first and only attempt to create a network and really hoped that someone in this forum might have the expertise to offer some advice.

I have gotten this far by just trying stuff on my own, but am pretty stuck right now.

ambra4 01:55 22 Dec 2008

See if this help

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone