Can't find the wireless router

Daitenshi 10:44 20 Dec 2007

Hi
Can someone please help me out before I end up breaking stuff.
I'm having trouble finding the wireless router on my pc. Ive just bought an MSI RG54SE wireless router. We've got 3 PC's in the house, one which has the main Cable (Virgin NTL) connection. I have connected the router to the NTL and to the computer (LAN).
Everything is connected correctly on the main pc and the internet works fine on that machine.

Now, on my pc Ive got a Netgear wireless adapter. Ive installed the drivers for it but I cant seem to pick up our router. I can pick up everyone elses in our neighbourhood just not mine. Btw on my pc I'm using XP with SP2 .

What am I doing wrong? Why cant I find the router?

BurrWalnut 14:20 20 Dec 2007

I don't know the router but could it be that wi-fi is not enabled?

Go to the router setup (192.168.n.n?) and check it.

Daitenshi 09:37 21 Dec 2007

wifi is enabled but still no luck. Would it have anything to do with SSID broadcasting?

retep888 11:49 21 Dec 2007

Do you mean you've your router setup with the SSID broadcasting turned off?
To make things simple,go back to your router's setup page and turn SSID back on,and then connect to internet thru' it.
If you wish,you can turn the SSID off again after you've got a connection,but I've a feeling you might have problem again.
Some routers don't like SSID being turn off,my Netgear 834GT is one.

Daitenshi 12:29 21 Dec 2007

No thats the problem. SSID broadcasting is always on. But still can't find the router.

retep888 13:29 21 Dec 2007

Have you turned on the wireless function on your router?
On my netgear,I have to turn on the wireless access point in order to have wireless connection,is there a similar setting for your router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?