CANT FIND NEW EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO FORMAT IT!!

HIGHLAND GUY 22:35 12 Nov 2004

Hi folks,have just installed a new external hard drive windows says installed ok and ready to use but i need to format it as it's a brand new hard drive i installed in an enclosure.

The problem is i can't find it on my computer or with windows explorer to format it,it's showing up as mass storage device under hardware and troubleshooting it reveals working ok,so how do i format it if i can't see it hope someone can help many thanks in advance.

HIGHLAND GUY 22:37 12 Nov 2004

Forgot to say i'm running windows xp.

Totally-braindead 22:40 12 Nov 2004

The easiest way to format a new drive is to use the software you get with it, if you have it of course. Failing that its usually easy to download it from the manufacturers wwebsite, what is the make and model of this external drive?

Salinger 22:44 12 Nov 2004

Maybe it's already pre-formatted?

HIGHLAND GUY 22:51 12 Nov 2004

Hi,it's a seagate 160gb ide in an external enclosure,driver already installed automatically by windows,i just need to find it so i can right click then select format but where else do i look if it's not in my computer and windows explorer can't see it?

BillEmm 23:03 12 Nov 2004

You need to get into Disk Management.

On my machine that is:

Start > Administative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Manager.

All your disks and their details will be listed, including your new drive which will not have a drive letter. Right click and select 'format'...and carry on form there.

Bill

Totally-braindead 23:04 12 Nov 2004

I suggest you have a look at this click here I presume this is the hard drive you have it lists troubleshooting as well as a link to any software you will need. Good luck.

HIGHLAND GUY 23:15 12 Nov 2004

Cheers for that BillEmm should have thought of that myself duh!! New hard drive formatting as we speak many thanks again.

HG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone