Cant find network printer in XP

DJ-Garry 19:36 30 Jun 2008

Hi guys.

I have set up a Brother printer by attaching it to a linksys wireless router. The two laptops we have are both vista and found the printer first time and will print from it ok.
The desktop which is also wireless via the usb adapter that came with the router is running XP and will not find the printer, only a MS network something or other. Why would this be and how can I fix it please???

Cheers, Garry

recap 19:50 30 Jun 2008

I have a Brother printer which is connected to two laptops through a wireless network and works fine. The way I did it was to set up a wired network first then the wireless network. Navigated through My Network Places to the PC acting as the server, navigated to the printer then right clicked the printer icon and selected 'Connect'.

T0SH 20:04 30 Jun 2008

Vista and XP use different default Workgroup names one uses mshome the other workgroup make both the same by renaming one to match the other and reboot then you will be access the printer ok

Cheers HC

DJ-Garry 20:09 30 Jun 2008

the brother printer is not connected to any of the pc's. It is plugged straight into the router as it is network ready. I'll have a look to see what the network name on the xp machine is and change it to see if it helps.

The two vista machines work great with it....

T0SH 14:19 09 Jul 2008

if the printer is connected to a lan port on your router it will show up in Printers and Faxes as connected on a Standard TCPIP/IP Port, after you have successfully used the add new printer wizard on XP

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?