Can't find my wireless network

Aims1981 11:40 17 Sep 2007

I've recently moved house and my laptop appears to find every other wireless network in Leeds other than the other one in my own house. I've never had a problem connecting to networks - it's just this one.

Knowing nothing about the problem and how to fix it, i've done very little in terms of trouble shooting other than attempting to manually set up the network.

Any advice would be very useful.

Strawballs 11:55 17 Sep 2007

Have you gone into your routers setup pages and changed your ssid to one that you will recognise because they are set to the makers name by default and where you have moved there might be more about with the same name

Aims1981 12:06 17 Sep 2007

it's a shared house so the guys that are already living there have given me the network name but it's not on my list. I've been told something about having to add my mac address to something?? - not sure what that means and/or if it's necessary. All networks have always automatically appeared in the past so i'm very confused.

postie24 12:16 17 Sep 2007

Have you asked if the router is switched on?
The mac address wouldnt actually stop you viewing the available wireless networks.

Aims1981 12:25 17 Sep 2007

yea, i can see it's on and other people in the house are wirelessly connected. no else has had this problem. i've also had other people say that it could be something to do with Vista? But again, the problem is unique to this network.

(thanks btw)

HCOOH 12:38 17 Sep 2007

Could be in a blind spot, although laptops are usually good at picking up even a weak signal.

postie24 12:38 17 Sep 2007

Shouldnt be Vista causing it.
Are you sure the SSID is enabled in the routers homepage?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?