Can't find msconfig

Nick1 01:28 06 Aug 2003

I was just going to try some of the tips in PCA to speed up my ccomputer. I would like to use msconfig but can't find it on my computer. I have done a search on all HD's but there is nothing called that. Any ideas?

Nick

Nick1 01:31 06 Aug 2003

I forgot to add that I am using W2K with SP4 installed.

JIM 01:47 06 Aug 2003

Try here.

MSCONFIG for Win 2000
click here
click here

Nick1 02:57 06 Aug 2003

Many thanks.

N

temp003 03:13 06 Aug 2003

The XP msconfig is OK, although you might consider another startup manager, such as click here Small and handy tool which lets you see what's starting up a little more clearly.

If you want to manage your Services, I suggest you don't use the Services tab in msconfig. The information there is not very full. Go directly to the Services console, either via Administrative Tools, or click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK.

From there, you can read a little more. Double click an item, select the Dependencies tab, and you can read what other services depend or are dependant on, the service in question, and decide what services to set to manual, automatic, or disabled (don't disable any services unless you're absolutely sure). Telnet is one you can usually disable.

click here to read up on w2k services. I don't actually find tinkering with services saves much resources, but other people have different experience, and you might want to have a look.

Lú-tzé 07:21 06 Aug 2003

And have a look at click here for a good guide to what needs to run at startup.

Nick1 08:24 06 Aug 2003

Thanks everyone. That gives me plenty to go at!

Nick

Stuartli 10:12 06 Aug 2003

Go to Start>Run>type in misconfig and then click on OK - this will open misconfig and the line will be retained in the drop down menu.

The Advanced tab will indicate which programs are opened when Windows is booted - note that Power Profile should be enabled twice.

You can enable or disable whatever programs, utilities etc you wish to open at bootup, but you will have to reboot the system before any changes take effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?