Cant find Google wireless but when cabled is ok

andy625 16:22 17 Feb 2007

I've just changed my router from a Netgear DG834GT to a Netgear DG834N, as the old router kept losing the internet connection.

The new router set up ok, and found connections even with the WEP secruity applied. The problem I have is that when I try to connect to Google, Gmail, or certain other sites when wireless, it can't find them.

If I try other sites at random its ok. I've even tried sites I don't normally access in case my usual ones are cached or something. If I connect the computer (laptop) back to the docking station, it can find all sites Google gmail etc etc. WHY???

Can anyone explain this?

I have a desktop pc which is wirelessly connected too, and that has the same problem - so its nothing on the individual pc's. I have checked the wireless settings on the router, but can't understand why I can find some sites and not others.

PalaeoBill 16:54 17 Feb 2007

This sounds like a proxy server problem, but why this should only occur on the wireless connections is a little mysterious.

Can your browse to 216.239.51.100 (which is google) from your wireless connected PC. If this works and google.co.uk doesn't then we will know a bit more about your problem.

On the PC's:
In Network Connections, is the TCP/IP configuration the same for the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection?

andy625 17:03 17 Feb 2007

Thanks PalaeoBill, however, I've just had a look at the Netgear knowledge base and was advised to try upgrading the routers firmware, as the latest version was supposed to fix a problem sounding like what I was experiencing.

Downloaded and installed the latest version, and problem is fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?