Can't even get on internet on new PC

Fried Lobster 16:37 29 Sep 2006

Basically i've just bought a new PC. Tried to get it to go on the internet last night via Ethernet and it just won't work. Go to Network Connections > Create a new connection > Connect to the internet > (Windows advised i go to set up connection manually with broadband) > Connect using broadband connection thats always on > Finish and there's no new connection

I've tried most things on the Create new connection wizard

Please Help? Thanks!

Fried Lobster 17:18 29 Sep 2006

I'm on a network of 2 PC's Starting from a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router then going through a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (DI-604)

Forum Editor 18:25 29 Sep 2006

Why are you using two routers?

ade.h 19:29 29 Sep 2006

The 205 is a wires-only router, so presumably, you are trying to use the DI-604 as a WAP. Is that right?

ade.h 19:52 29 Sep 2006

I have checked the specs of the 604; that is a wired router as well, so I cannot see why you would want to use both. The D-Link is likely to be the better product anyway, in my experience.

Fried Lobster 22:48 29 Sep 2006

I use the 205 Ethernet to go into the D-Link which then splits it four ways. It works i know because ive used a second pc before.

ade.h 23:36 29 Sep 2006

"I use the 205 Ethernet to go into the D-Link" - your meaning is unclear. Are you saying that you have more than four Ethernet-connected clients?

Forum Editor 00:02 30 Sep 2006

whereas the D-Link has four.

You said that you have two machines networked, so obviously you don't need 4 LAN ports. The problem is that the D_link is a standalone router - it doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem.

I'm not sure how you arrived at this configuration because you've spent money needlessly - you would have been far better off either buying a wireless ADSL router which has four LAN ports anyway, or a standalone ADSL modem and using it with the D-Link router.

Whatever you decide, you shouldn't be using two routers - ditch the Voyager and buy an ADSL modem for the D-link. Otherwise, cut your losses and ditch both routers - then buy a Netgear of Belkin wireless ADSL router. They all have four LAN ports on the back.

ade.h 00:17 30 Sep 2006

Exactly.

Note that you would need an Ethernet modem if you go down that first router, as the D-Link - like almost all routers - does not have USB modem capability. click here

I would just buy an ADSL modem/router instead.

ade.h 00:18 30 Sep 2006

for "router" on my second line, read "route".

Fried Lobster 13:29 30 Sep 2006

I've used wireless before, the wireless signals were blocked so i used this set up. Anyone know a solution without spending money?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone