Can't downlod programs in Vista, IE7

dunderheid 16:27 17 Nov 2009

My sister now has access to the internet with one of these PAYG dongle things.

She is running Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 7. I have no experience of Vista or IE7 but have downloaded more programs than I have had hot dinners, and thought it would be a dawdle to download AVG Free for her

The program seemed to download because the installation icon appeared in her downloads folder. When I clicked on this icon to install it, all that happened was that it contacted the download page and the download started again, only this time it took 30 minutes and at the end of it all that happened was an error message came up saying that the program could not be installed.

I felt such a chump as I have no idea what is going on. Could some kind person tell me in plain non-techy language what needs to be done to get this thing sorted out. I have downloaded programs for years and this is the first time anything like this has every happened!

mooly 17:40 17 Nov 2009

It's nothing to do with Vista as such... all that should happen is User Account Control should kick in and ask you to confirm "yes".

I would try downloading something else and see if that works... maybe CCleaner or even give Microsoft Security Essentials a go, it's absolutely ideal for Vista on a laptop.
click here

Just out of interest if you right click the item in downloads and "explore" is there a setup.exe folder etc

dunderheid 18:03 17 Nov 2009

It's nothing to do with Vista as such... all that should happen is User Account Control should kick in and ask you to confirm "yes".

What you say above did actually happen.

Unfortunately I cannot download anything now as I live over 20 miles from my sister, but I'll send her an email telling her what you have said.

The only thing is she knows even less than me about PCs

I don't know if this affects anything you have said, but it's not a laptop, it's a Compaq desktop. She took this option of accessing the internet because it's cheaper than signing up with an ISP, which she can't afford.

dunderheid 18:03 17 Nov 2009

What you say above did actually happen.

Unfortunately I cannot download anything now as I live over 20 miles from my sister, but I'll send her an email telling her what you have said.

The only thing is she knows even less than me about PCs

I don't know if this affects anything you have said, but it's not a laptop, it's a Compaq desktop. She took this option of accessing the internet because it's cheaper than signing up with an ISP, which she can't afford.

mooly 18:59 17 Nov 2009

It not being a laptop doesn't make any difference.
If any previous security software was installed (such as Norton as a trial etc) make sure you run an appropriate cleanup tool before installing any new security package (whatever you choose).

Make sure your sister keeps track of how much data is downloaded/uploaded as some of these PAYG schemes have severe penalties I believe (so I read somewhere) for going over agreed limits... just something to be aware of and check on.

And I can definitely recommend MSE too.

dunderheid 19:32 17 Nov 2009

mooly
I thank you very much for your time and trouble.

I have pasted and copied your replies to my posts, and will email my sister though she doesn't have the experience to check any of these things herself,but the next time I visit I will do the things you have advised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?