Can't Download SP3 ?

Furkin 10:06 01 Jun 2008

Hi all,
I've just tried to install SP3 on my Aspire T120 (2g ram) XP home SP2.
It ran for about 30 minutes then stopped & said it couldn't install it.
It took about another 15 mins to delete what it had been putting on.

I was downloading from MS site. My XP is legit - bought from MS direct.

1/ any ideas please ?
2/ does anyone have a direct link to MS 'support' please ?

many thanks

johndrew 10:36 01 Jun 2008

A lot of people have had problems with SP3 - if you put `SP3` into the Search Forum box above you will see what I mean.

You can download SP3 from MS at click here
You should read this click here
There was a link on this forum for MS free support but I can`t find it at the moment.

BurrWalnut 10:38 01 Jun 2008

Here are a few links you might like to read:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 7 before installing SP3 click here

Microsoft support for SP3 click here

Steps to take prior to installation and error codes click here

johndrew 10:42 01 Jun 2008

Found it click here

blazingbadger 10:48 01 Jun 2008

I have downloaded direct from icrosoft and had no problems at all

birdface 11:24 01 Jun 2008

Maybe try it with your Firewall turned off.You don't have Norton on your computer do you.There is a conflict with that.

birdface 11:31 01 Jun 2008

Installing it,deleting it.I can see problems ahead.Maybe better just leaving it for a while before you try again.

Furkin 17:04 01 Jun 2008

thanks folks.
I download it from MS.
I followed the link to MS Support (& added it to my faves) so will see what they have to say.

Of course it might just have been a glitch on the actual download.

I also looked at the link for 'Prior' info etc (thanks). I don't seem to be running anything listed there,,,, but it's quite a comprehensive list.
I've dropped MS a line - but feel sure they will say "'ave a look at the same page".

I'll have to study it better tomorrow - in the meanwhile I have another post running - about the slowness of 'link' accessed browsing, which is a bit more important at the moment. Please feel free to look at it - & comment.

all the best for now

Furkin 09:40 06 Jun 2008

I decided to get a disc version & called MS.
Whilst I was waiting to pay by C.Card, the lady said that "it's around 6 pounds,,,,"
I replied "AROUND 6 pounds isn't good enough for me to give you my C.C details - I need to know the figure that you will be taking"
She said "well,,,, about £6 plus vat,,,, so say about £6.50"
I repeated "Well,,,, that's already gone up by 50p whilst we were talking and I still don't know the exact figure,,,,"
In the end, I did the arithmetic for her & said "£6 plus vat is £7.05 !" to which she agreed !

This is not the way that I expect companies to carry out their business,,,, especially with a huge concern like M.Soft.
I would have thought that any salesperson should know the actual price right at the start - and state it firmly, in no uncertain terms - so that the customer knows exactly what they are spending.

I was going to say "leave it - I won't bother" but as I want SP3 to keep me going until the next XP version is out,,,, I swallowed what’s left of my pride & paid up !

Am now waiting for an “about” time period for delivery.

woodchip 09:52 06 Jun 2008

You are better not loading SP3 at the moment. I have removed it from my computer twice because of problems it created

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone