Can't download Adobe Flash Player 9

Jim Thing 21:45 25 May 2008

My daughter's desktop (Windows XP Home, SP2) has stopped displaying video clips from YouTube and at least one of its clones; all we see is a placeholder.

Before I arrived at her place this afternoon she had uninstalled Adobe Flash Player, intending to install the latest version, but we've been unable to download it from Adobe's website — we get as far as clicking on the "Agree and install now" box but then nothing happens.

System Restore doesn't seem to offer a way out, as the last time she looked at YouTube was "...a few months ago."

I have the feeling that I'm missing something basic and very simple. Could anyone please suggest what it might be?

TIA. Jim

skidzy 21:47 25 May 2008
  skidzy 21:49 25 May 2008

You may need to use the Adobe uninstaller first click here
then run ccleaner click here run this and the registry section and reboot,then install the latest version from Filehippo.

Jim Thing 21:50 25 May 2008

That first sentence should have read "...all she could see was a placeholder."

Jim Thing 21:57 25 May 2008

I ran Ccleaner, but I don't think my daughter would have used the Adobe uninstaller. I'll pass your suggestions along and report back, but it may take a day or two. Many thanks.

Stuartli 23:46 25 May 2008

There are two different versions for Flash Player, one for IE and the other for Firefox etc.

Your browser should automatically download the correct version from the Flash Player website.

See:

click here

or

click here

Stuartli 23:51 25 May 2008

Forget about the automatically download the correct version line - I'm thinking of SiteAdviser...:-)

Jim Thing 00:04 26 May 2008

Noted. Thanks Stuartli.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?