Can't do the maths, should a d/l take so long?

six-h 13:02 27 Sep 2007

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of google Earth.
My download bandwidth is 3,146 kbps, and my router was showing a speed of 36/48 Mbps.
The file size was as I recall about 57Mb, nad this took 45 minutes to complete!
Is there something amiss with my connection, I expected the download to be much quicker???

silverous 13:13 27 Sep 2007

I think you need to look at what you are measuring and from where.

See:

click here

Don't forget that 57Mb = megabytes
whereas your 36/58 Mbps is likely to be megabits.

six-h 13:55 27 Sep 2007

There was one other piece of information, transfer rate, which I seem to recall was hovering around 4.7/4.9 "something or others" per sec/min/hr!!
I was just concerned, (read paranoid) that something nasty might be using my bandwidth!

six-h 13:56 27 Sep 2007

There was one other piece of information, transfer rate, which I seem to recall was hovering around 4.7/4.9 "something or others" per sec/min/hr!!
I was just concerned, (read paranoid) that something nasty might be using my bandwidth!

silverous 14:06 27 Sep 2007

when you are downloading you will see the transfer rate which is what is actually happening.

I tend to get 50odd kilobytes per second if I recall correctly. That's about 2 megs a minute I believe which would download your file in about half an hour.

My broadband isn't great, I tend to get around 1 - 1.5 "Meg" ADSL download speed.

six-h 14:14 27 Sep 2007

it seems to validate the 45 minutes it took for me to d/l it, so I can rest assured that there was nothing untoward going on!

Quiet Life 14:26 27 Sep 2007

I just downloaded the latest version of google earth 4.2 beta. The size is shown as 12.7MB and the download speed varied around the 400KB a sec.
It took about 20 seconds to download. This was on a 54.0 Mbps wireless connection.
I downloaded again at the same speed so the site would seem to be consistently fast.
Some site can be very slow and this has nothing to do with your connection speed.

Dipso 14:38 27 Sep 2007

45 minutes is a long time if it's the same file as Quiet Life is referring to. I downloaded the same version just now and it took seconds, granted my connection is faster than yours six-h but even if you multiply by 5 it should still have downloaded much quicker than 45 minutes.

I managed to get a screengrab...had to be quick click here Mine got to 1.60MB/s at this point which equates roughly to 12.5 Meg.

Was the 36/48 Mbps your wireless speed?

six-h 14:43 27 Sep 2007

I found the file on my PC, and it is 31.1 Mb.
So I don't know where the rest of the 57Mb download went!
Maybe there is something strange going on?

brundle 14:55 27 Sep 2007

The free version of GE is only 12.8mb.
Download calc here; click here

six-h 14:55 27 Sep 2007

36 and 48Mbps.
When I downloaded the file originally, back in May or June, it was done in seconds, as you say.
I was horrified when I read the "Time Remaining" in the d/l window, which showed 45 minutes, I only checked it because it had exceeded the time that I had expected it to take.
I can't believe that my PC is infected since I did a thorough clean only last week and got the all clear from the Malware forum after discovering what turned out to be some residual files from a previously cleared nasty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?