Cant do a clean install..Is hardware broken?

dmm27 09:36 25 Jan 2006

Help!
Oldish PC running windows 98SE, having more and more problems as it kept crashing. Got to the stage that could only boot into safe mode, and unable to reinstall any antivirus, firewall etc. Then couldnt really get into safe mode. Tried restoring to an old registry setting that worked for a bit and now doesnt.

Last night tried to do a clean install by re-formatting C: drive from a boot disc. Managed to get most of windows back on again, but then keep getting "windows protection error, need to restart etc" when tried to restart. Now cant get into safe mode very often. I seem to get alot of fatal exception errors, esp to do with VxD...

Have changed CMOS battery and reset jumpers, as battery was apparently low, but hasnt made any difference.

What going on?
Any ideas, apart from buy a new PC!!

PS data is all on a separate partition of the same HD.
Dave

andrew-196854 10:18 25 Jan 2006

just a thought have you updated or flashed your bios since battery change , are there any wires lose inside ?

woodchip 10:37 25 Jan 2006

Did you run FORMAT :C at the A:\> promptfrom a floppy disc? before loading Win98 fresh.

Belatucadrus 10:38 25 Jan 2006

I'd try removing all superfluous components, PCI cards that aren't absolutely necessary and extra RAM modules, then try again, replacing them one by one after the Windows install. That way you should find out what it is, if there is a dodgy component.

dmm27 13:10 25 Jan 2006

Yes I did run format c: at the A prompt from a floppy.

Have also just downloaded the bios update. Is there any risk with this if it goes wrong, ie any way of rescuing it once I have flashed the bios?

No loose wires.

I have an onboard graphics card, pci sound card, and 2 sets of RAM, one of which came with the system, the other is from Crucial, so I suppose the Crucial one should be more reliable.

I'll try these tonight.
Any other tips?
Cheers
Dave

andrew-196854 13:16 25 Jan 2006

yes there are risks in flashing your bios i would back up your old bios before proceeding may this link will help click here

woodchip 13:22 25 Jan 2006

If I was you leave the BIOS alone, If you can get into windows try running SFC with WinCD in comp first to see what it fixes

woodchip 13:24 25 Jan 2006

PS have you cleans inside the comp since you got it? also check CPU fan is working as it should, check for muck in PSU fan also

andrew-196854 13:30 25 Jan 2006

quote me if i wrong but if dmm27 has changed his cmos battery for new his bios setting will be lost unless he saved his old bios? will they not woodchip click here=

dmm27 14:43 25 Jan 2006

Have cleaned out insides!

I've changed the cmos battery befoer, and you just need to go into BIOS and re-do the settings. Accordign to the links above, the BIOS flash utility should give me the option of saving the old BIOS.

Tried SFC and no problems apparently.

Whats the difference between Format c:, and Format c:/s. According to the windows bootdisk help, the latter creates a system disk. Is this important? I'm sure I have only ever done format c: in the past.

Sorry if this sppears twice, I could have sworn I hit "post response" before!

woodchip 14:55 25 Jan 2006

Format c:/s Formats the drive and loads the system files to save you entering all the UK settings, that’s all it does. As above I would not flash the BIOS, as there is danger in this particularly if you have not done it before and may render your Motherboard US. Your problems are elsewhere. test the memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?