can't do anything in office documents

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 18:57 15 Nov 2010

Hello all

I got this PC about a month ago, running windows 7, and installed with office. I have been using office all well until today, and now it is not letting me input any data. All format / sort ect boxes are grayed out. I opend word, and the same thing. Unable to type anything, with a message when I try saying 'this modification is not allowed because the selection is locked'.

I still have not validated the office suit as a pop up keeps telling me I need to do this, however it does say I can still use it without validation.

I have scoured the pc for an answer, to no avail....so over to you lot....

As always thanks for spending the time to read my post :)

bremner 19:08 15 Nov 2010

You have exceeded the length of time Office can be used without activation

GaT7 19:38 15 Nov 2010

As bremner implies, activate Office & you should be fine. G

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 20:16 15 Nov 2010

AGGGGHHHHHHH

We have said for ages we must activate it howver it is too late now, and we have hunted high and low for the key, again to no avail.

Is there ANYTHING we can do.....

GaT7 20:22 15 Nov 2010

Where did you get the PC from? Perhaps they can jog your memory about its whereabouts in the supplied documentation/discs, or provide another code. G

This may be a long shot if you haven't input the keys, but SIW System Information for Windows will show you all default product keys if you download it and scroll down (left side) to LICENCES.

click here

Use the above link and click on Purchase/Download then scroll down to the Freeware download.

BRYNIT 20:33 15 Nov 2010

If Office was preinstalled it would have been a trail version, usually for about 30 days. To continue to use Office you would have to buy the activation code.

If you are a student or have children in school you could buy it from click here

GaT7 20:39 15 Nov 2010

undyer, I believe the key has to be installed to find it in SIW. If it's installed, then Office should be activated anyway.

I think BRYNIT may have hit the nail on the head. Another way of looking at it is, if Office came preinstalled to work for good, it would have been activated already. G

Yep, I said it would be a long shot, all of my programs are activated so they show the product keys, wasn't sure that non entered keys were going to show!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?