Can't detect any wireless networks

johnblaze 13:25 29 Aug 2006

I'm trying to share my friends wireless router and my xp desktop won't find any networks. I've picked up 2 in my building using a laptop so I know there in range but the desktop just scans and doesn't see anything. I bought and installed a PEAK wireless PCI card, installed with drivers and set it to let windows handle the network setup. The card is a standard 802.11b/g 54mps card. Am I missing something?

kdt 14:02 29 Aug 2006

get you friend's wep key/password . also kb914440 from microsoft may help

mgmcc 14:14 29 Aug 2006

Make sure you friend's router is set to broadcast its SSID and that it isn't set to use a channel number that your wireless adapter doesn't support, in particular a number above "11".

johnblaze 14:23 29 Aug 2006

I've got the Key and Password. I've also tried a LINKSYS card borrowed off a mate. He had it working in his machine but I get the same 'no networks found' result with my PC. Don't understand why the PC won't pick up any networks when the laptop will pick up all in the bulding. Its definatly a software issue.

ade.h 14:38 29 Aug 2006

Are you using either of these adapters with their own management software or WZC? Turn off WZC if you use the former; remove the former if you are trying to use the latter.

click here

Colditz 14:43 29 Aug 2006

Go to windows wireless network connection status
in the icon tray open it and go into properties
then into wireless networks and at bottom right into advanced is it set to any network available

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?