Can't delete/remove pevious owner ??

spiders 10:09 30 Aug 2008

Hi,
I have just bought a 3 mnth old HP6720 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic.The previous owner "Carl" told me that he would reset the PC to "As new" state.Upon receiving the PC,I have renamed "My Computer" and I am set as the "Administrator".Upon going to user accounts it shows ME as the Administrator, and Guest account which is turned OFF. Fine so far, but when I complete any action like running Avg (Which I downloaded) It says "Carl" ran scan etc .My name is PHIL, so this is rather annoying, is there any way apart from a complete re-load of windows to remove "Carl" ??
Thanks in advance PHIL.

Technotiger 10:18 30 Aug 2008

Never needed to do it myself, but maybe something here to help you ...

click here

spiders 10:35 30 Aug 2008

Hi,sorry but that doesnt help.When I go to control panel/ user accounts as I said there is just ME as the Administrator, and Guest (turned off) so there is no account showing to delete for "Carl". He only seems to appear when I execute a command or run something, it seems as tho it STILL remembers him as being the owner?
PHIL

Technotiger 10:39 30 Aug 2008

Perhaps if you do a Search for Carl and then highlight anything found and then press the Delete key on keyboard.

hiwatt 11:01 30 Aug 2008

Rigt click my computer and choose properties.Under computer name you can change the name of the computer.Worth a try.

hiwatt 11:08 30 Aug 2008

If that doesn't work.You can download regscrub xp click here(a handy reg cleaner)and in the "misc" section click on"change the registerd owner of windows xp)and simply enter your own name.

Sea Urchin 12:08 30 Aug 2008

This might be easier

click here

Chris the Ancient 12:08 30 Aug 2008

Not used it, but this is supposed to do the job
click here

spiders 13:56 30 Aug 2008

Hi All,
Ive Changed and renamed MY Computer no problem.Ive searched and deleted anything I can find to do with CARL.Ive tried Sea Urchins thread of >>>> After purchasing a computer with XP already installed, many people want to change the registered owner and organization names on their system. This can be easily done without a lot of trouble.

This does require playing with the registry. If you are not comfortable and experienced with this, back up your system first.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type regedit in the textbox and click OK.
4. Regedit should load. Browse to this registry key:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

5. In the right panel, double click RegisteredOwner
6. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish
7. Click OK
8. In the right panel, double click RegisteredOrganization
9. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish. You may also delete this text and just leave this field blank.
10. Exit regedit and log off or reboot ,,,,,

This did seem the most promising, and indeed t changed the registry to me (PHIL),and when I go back to control panel users, there is still just me as Admin,and Guest which is turned OFF.BUT when I got to ,My Computer >Drive C >Users,It says CARL! and Public.Right clicking and trying to rename CARL folder wont work as rename option isnt there.Right clicking and trying PROPERTIES will show CARL greyed out, so wont let me alter it there??.ANY other ideas. thanx *PHIL*!! lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 30 Aug 2008

The built-in Administrator account will give you full control of the computer. You should not change the user name for this account though.

If you wanted to change the other C:\Users\(User Name) folder's name, then the only way to do this is to create a new administrator account and delete the old one from within the new account.

You *really* should restore your computer to factory settings - that machine should either have come with a disc to reinstall from scratch or else should have a recovery program to reset everything to default. You'll want to do this because you have *no* idea what has been put on that machine.

crosstrainer 14:34 30 Aug 2008

Has said...Changing the original will cause issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?