Can't delete this! What is is please?

AngeTheHippy 16:09 08 Mar 2006

Hi Chaps,
I've just been surfing, and an icon has appeared on desktop - it's like a white page with a blue 'C' letter (not unlike the Explorer icon, with like the halo around it?) and it's called cmb 243461.exe. Whwn I click the damned thing, browser goes to a 'Girlie' page!! I've tried deleting the thing, but a small window appears... Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete cmb_243461: access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use>> and an OK button to get rid of window.
I DON'T want this icon, OR where it directs my browser to!! please can someone advise how to get rid of this?

many thanks,

AngeTheHippy
xx

johnnyrocker 16:10 08 Mar 2006

run a full suite of anti spyware which should flush it out.

johnny.

Stuartli 16:12 08 Mar 2006

Right click on the Icon and you should get its path listed from Properties.

This will indicate where it is on your system.

AngeTheHippy 16:15 08 Mar 2006

just doin an ad-aware scan - not finished, but found 4 critical objects so far. Will keep u informed.

AngeTheHippy
xx

john-232317 16:15 08 Mar 2006

Is it listed in add and remove programs ?, or can you right click on it and delete ?

skidzy 16:17 08 Mar 2006

Angel run this,it may help you problem.
click here
Then run this
click here

They are free downloads and come highly recommended.

You may want to think of running this also.

click here
Just click on a location nearest to you,and download.

Make sure all downloads go to a folder where you can find them..ie: My Received Files etc

skidzy 16:19 08 Mar 2006

The CLICK HERE is what you need,not the bold underlined green writing

rawprawn 16:20 08 Mar 2006

click here Download Unlocker, that should fix it. It works from the context menu. If there is any problem, try it in safe mode.

AngeTheHippy 16:32 08 Mar 2006

it seemed to find 'it' first scan - I've deleted the stuff it found, 9 objects in all, also deleted the backup. The icon has gone fron desktop! When I next power off and power up again, if not re appeared on desktop I think I'll assume that I'm rid of it.

Thanks johnnyrocker, stuartli, daddyassa, skidzy and rawprawn very much, for your prompt replies and help.

AngeTheHippy
xxxxx

john-232317 06:15 10 Mar 2006

What a nice little hippy you are ;-) glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?